In an underwater twist on Halloween, divers took to the seas for the annual BIOS Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest. Competitors were grouped in twos, and given 45 minutes to carve their pumpkins underwater.
Competitors were allowed to draw on the pumpkins beforehand, but were not allowed to make any cuts into them until they were in the water.
One pumpkin carver told us that “What they didn’t tell us (for those of us who hadn’t done it before) was that pumpkins are unbelievably buoyant!!! We couldn’t sink with ours so we had to cut the top out on the surface, and then put dive weights inside him so he’d sink and sit on the bottom!”
Group photo above by Kristen Sims, all others by Charlotte Best – click to enlarge:
- Photos: Underwater Fancy Dress Halloween Dive
- Photo Set #2: MSA School Halloween Parade
- Photo Set #1: MSA School Halloween Parade
- Photos/Video: 2011 MSA Halloween Parade
- Photos: 2010 MSA School Halloween Parade
- Photos: Halloween Decorations Across Bermuda