[Updated] This evening [Jan 29] the Bermuda Police and Fire Service are on scene at the Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute [MAWI] in Devonshire after a patient made his way onto the roof and was threatening to harm himself.
Police spokesman Dwayne Caines said that first responders were called to the scene this evening after receiving reports that a patient had gained access to a roof. A Police negotiator is on the scene, and is talking with the patient. We will update with further information as available.
Update 7:30pm: Police statement: “Police and other first responders attended an incident at Mid-Atlantic Wellness institute a few minutes after 5 on Saturday evening. It appears that a patient made his way onto the roof and was threatening to do harm to himself. As a result police negotiators were called to the scene and began a very detailed process of talking with the patient. As a result the man was brought off the roof and inside without injury to himself or anyone else.”
- Bermudian Doctor Appointed At MWI
- Social Work Month at Both Hospitals
- Hospital Moves Some Services to MAWI Campus
- MAWI Staff Graduate From City & Guilds Programme
- Dr Sharon Apopa: MWI Executive Director
- Budget Cuts: Five Positions At MWI Not Renewed