[Updated with additional photos] Bermuda’s Portuguese community came together today [May 13] to celebrate a centuries old tradition that originated in the Azores in the 17th century. The “Festa do Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres” [Festival of the Christ of Miracles], sees a solemn procession through Hamilton with participants walking on a carpet of flowers set down beforehand.
The Santo Cristo statue is carried from St Theresa’s Cathedral along Cedar Avenue, Dundonald Street, past BAA and back to the Cathedral. The Somerset Brigade Band provided music as the red-caped men, clergy and children in special costumes walked through Hamilton followed by members and friends of the island’s Portuguese community.
Click to enlarge photos:
- Photos #2: 2012 Santo Cristo Dos Milagres Festival
- Photos/Video: Santo Cristo Dos Milagres Festival
- Photos: 2011 Christmas Boat Parade
- Photos: Catholic Church Honours Father Macedo
- Photos: St Paul AME Worship In New Sanctuary
- Photos: 2011 Portugal Day at Victoria Park