Governor George Fergusson made his way to the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club earlier today [June 21] to meet some of the sailors that participated in this year’s Newport to Bermuda Race. This year saw the record for the 635-mile ocean race smashed, with the first boat crossing the line less than 40 hours after leaving Newport.
The Governor pits his strength on one of Shockwave’s pedestal winches:
The Governor addressing the crew of Swift:
Eric Crawford, now navigating Belle Aurore, is introduced to the Governor:
Stephen Sherwin, the skipper of the Bermudian entry Nasty Medicine, with the Governor:
Richard J Isted, the skipper of Patriot, welcomes the Governor aboard his yacht:
Rives Potts, skipper of the Carina, is introduced to the Governor:
Douglas Jurrius, skipper of Belle Aurore, presents a yacht shirt to the Governor:
- All photos courtesy of Barry Pickthall/PPL
- Video: Locals Sailors & Newport Bermuda Race
- Video: Newport Sailors Encounter Whales
- Rousmaniere: Racing to Bermuda
- International Jury Penalizes Newport Yacht
- Who Won The Newport Bermuda Race?
- ‘Lilla’ Takes Cruiser Division In Bermuda Race