Retail sales in August 2012 rose 0.5% above the $84 million recorded in August 2011, with liquor stores leading the way with a 19.6% jump in sales. The report attributes the jump in liquor sales to the Cup Match Holiday.
Residents returning to the Island declared overseas purchases of goods valued at $7.1 million during August 2012, which was 5.3% — or $400,000 — less than the $7.5 million declared in August 2011.
Combined local and overseas spending totaled $91.5 million. After adjusting for the annual retail sales rate of inflation, measured at 3% in August 2012, the volume of retail sales fell by 2.5%.
The full report is below [PDF here]:
- Retail Sales Index: March Sales Drop 1%
- Retail Sales Decline 1% In December 2012
- Sales: Building Materials Up, Vehicles Down
- February 2013 Retail Sales Decrease By 1.8%
- January 2013: Retail Sales Increase 3.1%
- Retail Sales Rise 0.5% In June 2012
Articles that link to this one:
- Retail Sales Rise 0.8%, Liquor Sales Up 25.5% | Bernews.com | November 21, 2012