Sandys Boat Club celebrated their 75th Anniversary this past Saturday night [Sept 29], with approximately fifty members and the current and past commodore and flag officers in attendance. In spite of the rain drops that tried to dampen celebrations, speeches were given and awards were given including long service awards to the club. Photos include pictures of the current Commodore and Flag Officers, speeches on the deck and three generations of Club members.
In describing the history of the Club, their website says: “In 1934-1935, there was a group of men who would regularly have races between themselves in Mangrove Bay. They thought that they had a good thing going and decided to form a Club to bring others together for sailing, boating and social events. So on September 10th, 1937, The Sandys Boat Club was formed.
“Founding families included Jack, Pitman, Parker, Herkes, and Sheen, to name a few. The first location that the Club met in was the Mineral Factory (the pink building across from the Club). From there it moved to above the current pharmacy. Then a room became available in what is now the Club premises.
“During the war, the Club was disbanded for a period of years, but when the Club started back up, it grew even more and took more space in the current Club house. The green room was constructed on the property which was used for games and sailing activities.
“In the early 50’s, the front balcony of the Club was removed and the “Big Room” was added along with the lower facilities. By an act of Parliament on December 20th 1955, the “Sandys Boat Club Act” was passed which incorporated the Club. Since then, the Club has enjoyed use of the building and waterside access for all of its members and guests to enjoy.”
- Photos: Fitted Dinghy & Comet Races
- Photos: Charleston Bermuda Race Prizegiving
- Photos: Charleston to Bermuda Sailboats Arrive
- Photos: RHADC Frostbite Sailing Series
- Photos & Results: Sailing Frostbite Series
- Photos/Videos: Frostbite Series Sailing