Retail sales in October 2012 edged up a fractional 0.7% or by $0.2 million. Among the broad retail sectors, motor vehicle stores posted the strongest sales activity of 43.3%, while retailers of building materials experienced a 24.4% dip in sales.
Residents returning to the Island declared overseas purchases of goods valued at $5.3 million during October 2012, 7% or $400,000 less than the $5.7 million declared in October2011. Combined local and overseas spending totalled $87.2 million.
After adjusting for the annual retail sales rate of inflation, measured at 2.2% in October 2012, the volume of retail sales fell by 1%.
The full October 2012 Retail Sales Index is below [PDF here]:
- Retail Sales Index: Sales Decline In April 2013
- Retail Sales Index: March Sales Drop 1%
- Retail Sales Decline 1% In December 2012
- Sales: Building Materials Up, Vehicles Down
- February 2013 Retail Sales Decrease By 1.8%
- January 2013: Retail Sales Increase 3.1%