Minister Fahy is “misleading the public by insinuating” that he participated in a more recent discussion on the Term Limit document produced by the former Minister, BIU President Chris Furbert said today [Feb 5].
“As President of the Bermuda Industrial Union, I am on record as stating that term limits must stay to protect Bermudian workers until the work permit policies in Bermuda are improved upon at the Department of Immigration,” said Mr Furbert.
Yesterday, Government said the Ministry did seek feedback from the unions via the Bermuda Trade Union Congress [BTUC], whose representatives were appointed to the Work Permit Stakeholder Group.
“And with respect to recent claims by the unions as it relates to consultation, the public should know that Mr. Chris Furbert of the BIU and Mr. Anthony Wolffe, a BPSU representative, both represent the BTUC on the Work Permit Stakeholder Group,” the Ministry said.
The debate about Term Limits has been ongoing since Home Affairs Minister Michael Fahy confirmed that Government will eliminate the Term Limit Policy last week. The Policy previously restricted work permit holders for working on the island for longer than 6 years without a waiver or exemption.
Mr Furbert’s full statement follows below:
This press statement is intended to clear up my involvement in the Work Permit Stakeholder Group. As President of the Bermuda Industrial Union and a member of the Bermuda Trade Union Congress, I was invited by the then Minister of Economy, Trade & Industry, the Hon. Patrice Minors to participate in the discussion on the draft document entitled “Work Permit Policies 2012”. On October 12, 2012 there was a stakeholder consultation meeting organized by Minister Minors to review the document.
We started the day’s consultation process with the draft document and by end of the day there were some amendments made to the document, so in my opinion it was a work in progress as there was no final document produced by Minister Minors.
It is my understanding that the consensus was as outlined in the document, that “unless the work permit hoider is otherwise exempt he, or she will be limited to a maximum term of ten years, although there were some employers in the room who wanted “term limits” removed.
Minister Fahy is misleading the public by insinuating that I and Mr. Anthony Wolfe, as representatives of the Bermuda Trade Union Congress, participated in a more recent discussion on the document produced by the former Minister.
However we have heard Premier Mr. Craig Cannonier tell the media last week Friday, February 1, 2013 that consultation took place under the PLP Government. Premier Cannonier also suggested that no further consultation was necessary and that “it was time to move swiftly and get this done”.
As President of the Bermuda Industrial Union, I am on record as stating that term limits must stay to protect Bermudian workers until the work permit policies in Bermuda are improved upon at the Department of Immigration.
- Ministry: ‘We Did Seek Feedback From Unions’
- PLP Calls On OBA To Apologise For Statement
- Government Eliminates Term Limit Policy
- Chamber, BEC Welcomes End Of Term Limits
- Cayman: ‘Don’t Want Competition Ahead Of Us’
- PLP: What Happened To The 2 Year Suspension?