“Extremely Disheartened By The Cancellation”

January 8, 2016

dare2be logo generic plainThe Dare2Be charity said they are “still reeling following the disappointing last minute cancellation” of their planned New Year’s Eve bash.

Executive Director Deborah Blakeney noted: “We are all extremely disheartened by the cancellation of our Night in Cuba, New Year’s Eve event. It was scheduled to be a major fund raiser for us but with weak ticket sales we had no option but to pull the plug before Christmas.

“We know we had support in the community but unfortunately Bermudians are notoriously last minute and with so many things hanging in the balance we simply had to make a decision.”

“We do not want to be known as the charity that fails to deliver, we are one hundred percent committed to our programme, the ladies we serve and our community. But losing money was not an option. As it is now, we are not sure how we are going to make up the loss in revenue.

“We just want to thank everyone who supported this Trojan effort. Our Chairman Juan Prado personally put in hundreds of hours organizing the event, almost single-handedly, then there was all the support we received from the members of the media and the community at large.”

Ms. Blakeney explains further; “Like most charities in Bermuda we rely significantly on the generosity of corporate donors, but this programme belongs to the people of Bermuda and we are always looking for ways to involve everyone in the process, our event was supposed to bring Bermudians together in support of the charity and the women we serve.”

Dare2Be said, “The event was particularly important to the charity not just because it was going to raise much needed funds for its programme, which empowers disenfranchised women to break their cycle of dependency through education, soft skills training, work shadows and ultimately, employment, but because it was to have been a community event bringing together a huge cross section of the population to celebrate a new year under one roof together.”

Dare2Be said they are now looking at a number of opportunities to recoup some of the projected revenue lost from the scheduled event and are hoping the public will support their efforts as they move forward.

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, Entertainment

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Concerned says:

    Think outside of the box – the event did not have to be held as a New Year’s event, it could have been held later this month or anther time of the year. Start advertising earlier in the year rather than waiting until November/December to advertise.

  2. Public says:

    Was this the one that was supposed to be at Hamilton Princess? Could be because this and everything else this year for New Year’s was absurdly overpriced and expensive…

  3. Just a matter of time says:

    The word going around is that many people wanted to attend. It looked like a really exciting event. But the ticket price of $290 was very steep. That’s nearly $600 for a couple alone. Take out the open bar and expensive raffle prizes and that would bring down the price significantly. Hopefully there will be other similar events to support this very worthy cause but less pricey.

    • Agree says:

      I have to agree. We were interested in attending – but to be honest the $600 was better spent elsewhere. We were interested, but it was the price that turned us away. I hope they do try to do this again, maybe at another time and at a more reasonable price.

  4. Ms. Poli Tician says:

    Keep going Deborah – this charity is needed. See this merely as a speed-bump…slow down, drive over it and keep going. Good luck Beautiful!

  5. Jus' Wonderin' says:

    Too expensive for what you’re getting!

  6. jo jo says:

    events like this/ these NEED months IN ADVANCE PLANNING — not 8 weeks — sorry to have seen it swept away — also tiered pricing would of been better for the community at large — maybe they shd take the advice of planners in the industry