Photos: Regiment Recruit Camp Gets Underway

January 10, 2016

The Royal Bermuda Regiment Recruit Camp got underway this morning [Jan 10], with the camp consisting of all volunteers for the first time ever.

The start of the annual Recruit Camp tends to attract spectators each year, and this year was no different, with friends and family gathering to watch this morning’s proceedings, as the male and female volunteers waited outside the gates of Warwick Camp, and were welcomed inside at 8.00am.

Live video stream replay:

In announcing the all volunteer camp, Regiment Commanding Officer Lt/Col Michael Foster-Brown previously said, “I’m delighted – many people thought this wouldn’t be achievable, so it’s excellent news. It’s the result of a lot of hard work and emphasis on ensuring that service in the RBR is attractive and rewarding.”


-

Col Foster-Brown said a challenge for the future was “maintaining the momentum” in recruitment in the years to come and added, “We are in discussions with the Government about support in this particular area.”

Click to enlarge photos:

click here military news

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News, Photos

Comments (13)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. wondering says:

    I’m told that some of the “volunteers ” were conscripts who were offered to change their status to volunteer.

    Wonder if that’s true

    • Think for a minute says:

      That would make absolutely no sense.

      • Mr Stevens says:

        Volunteers get a bonus. So if you’re going to have to be there anyway then you might as well “volunteer” and take the money.

        • Think for a minute says:

          It is not possible to “change one’s status” from conscripted to volunteer in order to collect the $300 bonus. Again, it wouldn’t make financial sense.

    • frank says:

      When is the government going to stop spending money. On. This. Stupid. Regiment

    • who cares most says:

      Yes I have heard the same from very reliable sources. The only problem is will they tell the truth

      • Jus' Wonderin' says:

        no u haven’t lol… (officer here) that’s impossible to do and makes no sense…stop spreading lies/rumours!

    • Bermudian Momma says:

      It is true my son chose to go after receiving the letter saying he did not have to show up. The thing is if there are not enough volunteers next year he would have to go or the following year. So he went, he will be given an extra $300 as a volunteer.

  2. TSOL says:

    So why are the “sergeants” hassling these guys if they volunteered?

  3. Rockfish#1 says:

    Are you suggesting volunteers should be treated better than conscripts? Hopefully, the soldiers don’t feel the same way.

  4. JW says:

    I think its great that all of these men and women volunteered! Hats off to them and thanks to each of you for volunteering.

  5. Former conscript says:

    Good luck to all! Hard two weeks ahead. Early mornings, blisters, exhaustion, hunger, and getting your ears yelled off. Glad I’m done! Personally I could tolerate everything except the insubordination of my peers – talking back and sucking teeth only makes it worse for you and everyone around you…just my two cents.

  6. nothing up my sleeve says:

    They should have done this when the gov actually had money to spend, could have eased a lot of tension back in the day.
    But I am glad that this has finally been achieved, hopefully a GED program and/or discount on BC could be a part of the volunteer/conscripts enrollment for those who want them.

Sign Up For Our Free Email Newsletters

email-banners-good-news-370

Latest Bernews Current Affairs Podcasts