Commission of Inquiry’s Procedural Statement

June 14, 2016

The Commission of Inquiry has issued a Procedural Statement that provides an update on the Commission’s process for investigating the Auditor General’s report on the Consolidated Fund for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 financial years.

The document has also been posted in the Documents section of the Commission’s website.

A spokesperson said, “The Procedural Statement, which follows meetings with Chairman Sir Anthony Evans during his visit to Bermuda last week, includes an explanation of the manner in which public hearings will be held, outlining the process for a first public hearing on Monday, June 27, 2016.

“The statement notes that a second public hearing will be held in September or October on a date to be determined.

“The Commission’s statement also explains the manner in which the first public hearing will be conducted.

“Letters to persons already contacted by the Commission during the initial stages of their investigation have been distributed along with copies of the statement. It had originally been intended that such persons would be instructed to appear during the June 27 hearing.”

Chairman Sir Anthony Evans said, “After a week of meetings with Commission Counsel and with members of the Commission, we feel our objective to oversee a fair, objective and transparent investigation will best be served with this revised timetable.

“In addition, although this somewhat extends the length of our investigation, it was determined that further time was required in order to collect and analyse documentary material relating to the issues which the Commission will be investigating.”

The full statement follows below [PDF here]:

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Jeremy Deacon says:

    I’m glad they are taking longer than three months – i always felt that to do what they had to do in 3 was not possible. I’m assuming that at some point the Premier has agreed to this?