French Consul: ‘Horrific Attack On Innocents’

July 15, 2016

Both the L’Alliance Francaise and Honorary French Consul in Bermuda expressed their shock and sympathy following a terrorist attack in Nice, France last night [July 14] that killed more than 80 people.

Honorary French Consul in Bermuda Nicole Haziza said, “This is a horrific attack on innocents. Our deepest thoughts go to the victims and the families of the victims.

“More than ever, our thoughts are with our country and the values of our country, liberty, equality and fraternity.”

Nicky Gurret from the L’Alliance Francaise said, “I was heartbroken to hear the terrible news on what is happened in Nice on the day of celebration of the storming of La Bastille. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the family and friends of those that have been devastated by this tragedy.”

French President François Hollande addresses the nation

A BBC story said, “At least 84 people have died, including children, after a lorry slammed through a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.”

“The attacker, who was killed by police, has been named as 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel.

“The driver ploughed on for 2km [1.2 miles] on the Promenade des Anglais at about 23:00 local time, before being shot dead by police.

“Witnesses say the speeding lorry swerved and zigzagged in an apparent attempt to hit more people. Police reportedly found guns and grenades inside the lorry. President Francois Hollande, who has now arrived in Nice, said the attack was of an undeniable terrorist nature”.

“Prime Minister Manuel Valls has declared three days of national mourning for the victims from Saturday.”

A story in the Guardian said, “The attack, which also injured scores of people, including dozens of children, on France’s national day, was the third terrorist atrocity to hit the country in 18 months, following the Charlie Hebdo killings and the massacre of 130 people in Paris in November.”

France has declared three days of national mourning, starting on Saturday, and a state of emergency that had been due to expire on July 26 was extended for three months.”

A story in the Telegraph said, “Tunisian-born Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old delivery driver, was reported to be a French passport holder who lived in the Riviera city and was regularly in trouble with the law.

“At least 10 children are among the dead following the ‘cowardly and barbaric’ atrocity that left at least one British national among the many injured. Officials fear the death toll will rise.

“As hundreds remained in hospital – including 18 fighting for their lives in intensive care – investigators have been searching the home of Bouhlel in the Abattoirs area of Nice and carried out a controlled explosion on a white box van nearby.”

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News

Comments (6)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Ali B says:

    I was in Nice a couple of days ago. Feeling sad and very numb. Awful…

  2. Real Deal says:

    No comments ? Where is the global outrage?

    • Smh says:

      There’s definitely outrage….moreso for France than for many other parts of the world that’s for sure!

  3. Truth is killin' me... says:

    Sometimes the outrage stays silent. Does not mean it is not there. Just like the outrage on our island over the many black lives that have died at the hands of killers walking among us. It stays silent. If you know something say something!

  4. sage says:

    No official (Premier) condolences since the Orlando shooting?

  5. Family Man says:

    More carnage carried out by fanatical followers of an intolerant religion.