Evacuations After Bomb Threat, Man Arrested

January 8, 2018 | 19 Comments

[Updated: This morning someone called emergency services claiming there was a "bomb in the courts,” so the court building, as well as nearby buildings, were temporarily evacuated, and nearby streets were cordoned off. Once a proper assessment of the building was made, people were allowed back in. Police have reminded the public it is an offence to "make false or malicious calls." and a full police investigation is "ongoing to identify the person or persons responsible.” - Police now confirm a man has been arrested.]

testimonial-divider

The Courts have been evacuated this morning [Jan 8] due to a “bomb threat” the police have confirmed. Further details are limited at this time, however we will update as able.

Update: An 11-minute live video replay is below:

Update 10.39am: Minister of National Security Wayne Caines told Bernews, “There has been a bomb threat that was called in to the Magistrate’s Court. The Bermuda Police Service are now investigating the bomb threat.

“It is believed that the Bermuda Police Service are doing a floor by floor analysis of the building. If there is a device that is found, the EOD will come in and neutralize whatever the issue is.

“Right now, as you can see, Parliament Street, Victoria Street, and Church Street have all been shut down. The Global House has also been evacuated, as well as all the buildings in between the top of Church Street to the bottom right here at Victoria Street.

“The good thing is – if there can be a good thing – as the Minister of National Security, it’s good to see the Natural Disaster Plan come into effect, all of the key agencies going to their bomb preparedness plan, and so it is good to see all of the elements actually carrying out their functions.

“It is unfortunate in that so many people have been stopped from working and being productive based on what we believe and will be confirmed shortly as a hoax.”

Statements from National Security Minister Wayne Caines & Police Media Manager Dwayne Caines

Police Media Manager Dwayne Caines told Bernews, “At approximately 9.24am, police and first responders responded to a report of a bomb scare in the court building. Now, a very random call indeed, and as a matter of caution, all of the government courts and surrounding buildings were evacuated.

“Police at present are enacting their protocols with a view to assess whether or not there is a bomb in any of the buildings. After those protocols have been enacted, we will then start allowing people back into the buildings.

“The courts is a network of buildings, so those buildings are being checked by police and fire, EOD specifically – that’s the Emergency Ordinance Disposal unit – are checking the buildings, going floor to floor, and when they are satisfied that there is not a threat in the building, then everyone will return back in.

When asked if everyone is safe, Mr Caines said, “Everybody that we know of, particularly that works in the court buildings and the Dame Lois Browne-Evans buildings, they’ve come out of the building, and we’re just waiting for the all clear.”

Update 11.49am: “This morning, the Bermuda Police Service received a phone call to our 911 system stating there was a ‘bomb in the courts,” a Government spokesperson said.

“Assistant Commissioner of Police Martin Weekes stated that in the early stages as the threat was being analysed and assessed by the Intelligence Department of the BPS, the main Court building at Dame Lois Browne-Evans Building and the buildings to either side [Hamilton Police Station and Global House] were temporarily evacuated.

“Once the threat had been assessed, the two neighbouring buildings were re-opened and a floor by floor assessment was undertaken of the Court building by senior staff led by the Manager of Hamilton Magistrates Court, following established protocols.

“Bermuda Police Service personnel together with Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service cordoned off nearby streets. Once a proper assessment of the building had been made in, and in agreement with an officer from the BPS Explosive Ordnance Disposal [EOD] unit, the building was declared safe and staff were allowed back in to resume their stations before the public was allowed to enter.

Minister for National Security Wayne Caines stated, “All threats of this nature are taken seriously and as a precaution staff were evacuated from Global House and the Dame Lois Browne-Evans buildings. The most important thing is always the safety of staff. It is unfortunate that someone would do something so malicious to impact commerce and disrupt not only the courts but the work of everyone in these buildings.”

The Bermuda Police Service said they “wish to remind the public that it is an offence to make false or malicious calls and that a full investigation is ongoing to identify the person or persons responsible.”

Update 7.31pm: Police Media Manager Dwayne Caines says, “A 36 year old man has been arrested in connection with the bomb threat at the courts today.”

Evacuation Bermuda, January 8 2018 (2)

Evacuation Bermuda, January 8 2018 (1)

Evacuation Bermuda, January 8 2018 (3)

Update 10.30am: The area is getting back to normal.

Evacuation Bermuda, January 8 2018 (4)

Update 7.33pm: A Police spokesperson said, “A 36 year old man has been arrested in connection with the bomb threat at Courts today.”

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News, Videos

Comments (19)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Y says:

    The culprit who called in the threat will be caught before the end of the week

  2. facts of the rock says:

    as if any Bermudian would know how to make a bomb….PMSL.

    • Time will Tell says:

      You’re underestimation on the local potential speaks volumes.

    • PadiMasterDiver says:

      Ud be suprised at what i could do!..ex US military EOD… 3 tours iraq and afghanistan.. o and BORN AND RAISED IN BERMUDA…#BERMUDIAN

  3. Tyrese l says:

    So why are people so close to the building? Everyone needs to keep there distance I’m Tyrese younger then you and I know this come on Bermuda

    • Wahoo juice says:

      Mabe you two yung 2 no nuffin.

      • Ridewithresponsibility says:

        Maybe * we should work on our responses to better educate the future generations of Bermuda I believe what you were trying to say was (maybe you are too young to know anything about this situation)

  4. Rada Gast says:

    That’s one way of trying to avoid paying your parking ticket.

  5. Truth is killin’ me... says:

    Watch yo back son. Popo comin’ for yah!!

    • Wahoo juice says:

      Fine should be $80,000.00 i.e. pay for someone else’s year in jail. Wonder what cases were being heard today.

  6. puzzled says:

    Look at the bright side onions.
    The Caines have your back in the House and what you hear and see via news.

    Caines and Able.

  7. Real Deal says:

    bull crap who in Bermuda knows how to make a bomb.

  8. Imjustsaying says:

    Every year they have a false flag bomb threat. Who is gonna waist their time calling in a bomb threat. People just can’t remember the last practice bomb threat.

  9. nabbah jabba ding dong baby daddy says:

    I ask you…how much does this senario cost?
    1 ambulance attending five six thousand dollars….fire Dept?…police?….regiment on standby?….count the cost…who pays?….where do you think the money comes from?
    Now…now this money has been removed from other services we might consider essential.

  10. Chingas says:

    …. and the guy they arrested is standing right against the wall in the interview above!! Brazen…idiot

Leave a Reply

="banner728-container bottom clearfix">