Cake Box In Oven Ignites At Home In Smiths

January 12, 2018 | 11 Comments

The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service have had a busy morning, as in addition to the overturned van in St David’s and deep fryer fire at Sung Sing Restaurant in Hamilton, they also responded to an oven fire at a residence in Smiths, with a cake box in the oven starting to ignite, as the oven had been turned on without the resident realizing that the cake box was still in it.

At approximately 10:32am today, the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service said they “received a report of an oven involved with fire at a residence on Middle Road in Smiths.”

Oven fire Bermuda January 2018

The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to the incident with 1 fire appliance staffed with 4 firefighters.

Fire service spokesperson, Sergeant Delton White said, “Upon arrival we found a smoldering oven emitting smoke with no flames visible.

“On further inspection we found a cake box within the oven that had started to ignite due to the oven being turned on without the resident realizing that the cake box was still in the oven.

“We removed the box from the oven to an external location and initiated ventilation to remove the smoke from the residence.”

Cake in Box Bermuda January 12 2018

There were no injuries as a result of the fire, but the oven and refrigerator received minor heat and smoke damage.

Sergeant White stated “The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to note to the public that accidents do happen, but whenever possible, before starting an appliance that can cause fire, check the surroundings and internally for any items or objects that could become or cause a fire hazard.”

Share via email

Read More About

Category: Accidents and fires, All, News

Comments (11)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Her says:

    Is this for real?

  2. Family Man says:

    I always wondered why they put those warning labels on packaged foods. You know the ones that say “Remove from package before baking”. I thought, really, who is going to just put the whole package in the oven?

    I guess there was no warning label on the cake box.

  3. Proud to be Bermudian says:

    Accidents do happen!

    • Toodle-oo says:

      Quite true .
      There’s been plenty of incidents over the years where people , particularly house sitters , pre-heating an oven without realizing that it was doubling as a storage area as well have caused a fire , or very melted pots and pans.

  4. jty says:

    “We removed the box from the oven to an external location and initiated ventilation to remove the smoke from the residence.”

    We took the cake outside and opened up the windows.

  5. Point boy says:

    At least the power didn’t go out 10:58. No rum cake though

    • Point boy says:

      Someone had a few slices to. Oops, who had the last piece then hid it in the stove.
      Sorry. Just trying to make light a bad situation

  6. thumper says:

    That is something,but my Ma hid a six-pack of Coca-Cola in the oven.

  7. thumper says:

    This is true….if only a marshmallow factory would set the precedence…

  8. puzzled says:

    Thankfully the house is intact and there was no structural damage.
    Happy New Year.

Leave a Reply