Photos: Bermuda Onion Day At Carter House

May 19, 2019 | 1 Comment

Bermuda Onion Day was celebrated on Saturday afternoon [May 18] at Carter House in St. David’s, with people gathering to learn more about the onion and how it tied in with the island’s early settlers.

Attendees took time out to enjoy the historical replica house, and chat while enjoying a variety of St. David’s onion dishes including the delicious onion quiche, Gary Lamb’s Fish Chowder, cheese and onion sandwiches, and more. There was also a largest onion competition and an onion eating contest.


.

Introduced to the island in the early 1600s, the sweet and succulent Bermuda onion was first exported to the east coast from St. George’s in 1847.

Onions quickly became Bermuda’s major export crop, and by the middle of the 19th century, Bermuda itself was widely referred to as “The Onion Patch.” While the era of Bermuda farmers exporting onions came to an end, the “Bermuda onion” nickname endures.

Click to enlarge photos:

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, Community, News, Photos

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Thanks to our Anscestors who laboured to keep the Legacy alive.

Leave a Reply