Scholarships For University Of West Indies

June 21, 2019 | 10 Comments

“The Ministry of Education will provide scholarship opportunities for Bermudian students to attend the University of West Indies,” Minister of Education Diallo Rabain said in the House of Assembly today [June 21].

Minister Rabain said, “It gives me great pleasure today to rise and give notice of the renewal of the relationship between the Bermudian people and the University of West Indies.

“The Ministry of Education is serious about seeing the relationship between Bermuda and the University of West Indies grow.

“As a result, the Ministry of Education is dedicating $35,000 from our current scholarship budget to assist students in attending one of the three University of West Indies campuses. This funding will cover 80% of the educational expenses of students with the student paying the remaining 20%.

“Applications are being accepted from now up until July 26th for the 2019 Fall Term with additional information on the application process to be found on the MOED website.”

The Minister’s full statement follows below:

Mr Speaker,

It gives me great pleasure today to rise and give notice of the renewal of the relationship between the Bermudian people and the University of West Indies. Starting immediately, the Ministry of Education will provide scholarship opportunities for Bermudian students to attend the University of West Indies.

Mr Speaker,

The Ministry of Education is serious about seeing the relationship between Bermuda and the University of West Indies grow. As a result, the Ministry of Education is dedicating $35,000 from our current scholarship budget to assist students in attending one of the three University of West Indies campuses. This funding will cover 80% of the educational expenses of students with the student paying the remaining 20%.

Applications are being accepted from now up until July 26th for the 2019 Fall Term with additional information on the application process to be found on the MOED website.

Mr Speaker,

The University of West Indies or UWI has three main campuses across the Caribbean with locations in Cave Hill, Barbados, Mona Campus in Jamaica, St. Augustine in Trinidad and Tobago and the Open Campus an online Campus which services the remaining English speaking islands. They offer courses at the undergraduate and graduate level in a wide variety of fields with medicine being a popular course for students to take in the past. However, medicine is not the only area of student for students with fields such as Science and Technology, Engineering, the Social Sciences and Humanities and Education being areas of focus.

UWI has had a long relationship with Bermuda, as Bermuda has been an Associate Country member of UWI since 2010. Although we have had students attend UWI over this period the number of students has not been consistent, and this is something the College, the Ministry of Education and the University of West Indies have sought to change.

Mr Speaker

Sir Hilary Beckles, Vice-Chancellor of the University of West Indies recently visited Bermuda, and we discussed how we could encourage our Bermudians Students to take advantage of the preferred pricing we currently enjoy as an Associated Country. As a result of these and on-going discussions, the Ministry of Education is happy to announce that a scholarship provision will be made to sponsor at least 3 students to attend the UWI this Fall.

Mr Speaker,

I recognise that to some; it may be considered late in the year to be applying to a university; in fact, UWI’s registration date closes June 30th. I am pleased to let this Honorable House and the public know that the University of West Indies has extended its application deadline for Bermudian students to attend class this academic year to August 9th because they too want to see our Bermudian students thrive and expand their knowledge. This extension, Mr Speaker, is an example of the great relationship between the Bermuda Government and the University of the West Indies. A relationship that we will continue to nurture.

Mr Speaker,

The Ministry of Education remains dedicated to creating new opportunities for our students to pursue their educational goals. This means thinking outside the box and revisiting pre-existing relationships to make them more applicable to our needs today.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the Bermuda College, Ministry staff and Sir Hilary Beckles, who has worked diligently to make this opportunity a reality for our students. These efforts will have a huge impact on at least three students’ future now and more in the years to come.

Thank you, Mr Speaker.

click here banner education

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News, Politics

Comments (10)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. watching says:

    The University of the West Indies has delivered many well read, and well educated scholars. Eligible Bermudians may want to take up this possible opportunity.

  2. Poof Dah says:

    Minister Roban. I trust that as the Minister of education and a university graduate, you know that students applied for Colleges and University MONTHS AGO and most have accepted by now. It’s far to late for anyone to make changes or consider theose Universities now. Are those in the ministry that clueless that they don’t know this or has the recipient already been selected and this is a way of narrowing the field.

    I trust that if you are building a relationship with are partners to the South that it is a two-way thing. So how many scholarships are the other islands giving out to encourage others to attend Bermuda College?! I am sure the number is less than one.

    Gonna go listen to some more Bob any maybe you should too……”you can fool some people sometimes but you can’t fool all the people all the time”.

    • Onion Peels says:

      I think this is a good use of a small part of Bermuda’s money. Not everyone is going to be accepted into an academically challenging program and this gives them an opportunity to attend an alternative university.

      • Question says:

        So uou mean this is for people who have no business going to university in the first place.

    • La Verdad says:

      Read the whole Statement regarding late enrollment. You are obviously not a university graduate. Too lazy to read the entire statement. SMH

      • Poof Dah says:

        I read it and it doesn’t change a thing. Perhaps you missed the point of what I said. Take a moment to read and digest it.

        This statement smacks of political BS. If the intention was to build a relationship with the University of WI….wouldn’t it be it their best interest to offer scholarships not our government. Additionally this wasn’t something that was included in this years budget was it? Would it not make more sense to advertise that this would be available next year when students could plan for this. How many students do you know that have not year applied to University by now. What child do you know have left it til now to apply?

        This scholarship as it has been labelled will basiclly be given to applicants that have already applied there. It won’t attract anyone new.

        We all know what this is really about. But I know shhhhhh most people won’t catch on. If you still don’t know what I mean – well I guess congratulations are in order. Must be nice to be in the loop and part of the friends and family group.

  3. wahoo says:

    Thank you tax payers for helping us to look good in the eyes of the University of West Indies. I am sure the minister will need to get down there and sign something at taxpayer expense over and above the $35,000.00.

  4. Slipnut says:

    How about some running water for our School children? Where’s the wi-fi in the Schools. Who got the contract for 3 million dollars to clean the mold? Maybe it’s time to roll the sleeves up and take the bo tie off.

  5. Vortex says:

    This is nonsense, why?
    It isn’t even a very good university.

    • La Verdad says:

      You really are living in a Vortex. The 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings has ranked the UWI among the world’s top institutions.

Leave a Reply