NOAA: ’60% Chance Of Above-Normal Season’

May 22, 2020 | 1 Comment

NOAA predicts a “60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.”

The organisation said, “An above-normal 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is expected, according to forecasters with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service.

“The outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.

“NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a likely range of 13 to 19 named storms [winds of 39 mph or higher], of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes [winds of 74 mph or higher], including 3 to 6 major hurricanes [category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher].

“NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence. An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.

Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook Bermuda May 2020 (1)

“The combination of several climate factors is driving the strong likelihood for above-normal activity in the Atlantic this year. El Nino Southern Oscillation [ENSO] conditions are expected to either remain neutral or to trend toward La Nina, meaning there will not be an El Nino present to suppress hurricane activity.

“Also, warmer-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, coupled with reduced vertical wind shear, weaker tropical Atlantic trade winds, and an enhanced west African monsoon all increase the likelihood for an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Similar conditions have been producing more active seasons since the current high-activity era began in 1995.

“NOAA’s analysis of current and seasonal atmospheric conditions reveals a recipe for an active Atlantic hurricane season this year,” said Neil Jacobs, Ph.D., acting NOAA administrator. “Our skilled forecasters, coupled with upgrades to our computer models and observing technologies, will provide accurate and timely forecasts to protect life and property.”

“This year, as during any hurricane season, the men and women of NOAA remain ready to provide the life-saving forecasts and warnings that the public rely on. And as storms show signs of developing, NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft will be prepared to collect valuable data for our forecasters and computer models.

Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook Bermuda May 2020 (2)

“Also during the 2020 hurricane season, NOAA and the U.S. Navy will deploy a fleet of autonomous diving hurricane gliders to observe conditions in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea in areas where hurricanes have historically traveled and intensified.

“As with every hurricane season, the need to be prepared is critically important this year.

“NOAA’s outlook is for overall seasonal activity and is not a landfall forecast. The Climate Prediction Center will update the 2020 Atlantic seasonal outlook in August prior to the historical peak of the season.”

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Triangle Drifter says:

    Can’t do anything about the weather. Be prepared. Have a plan. Get the stuff you need now. Don’t wait till the storm is 48 hours away.

Leave a Reply