Tag: Bermuda murders

Middleton Film Crew Denied Work Permits

Middleton Film Crew Denied Work Permits

[Updated] Home Affairs Minister Michael Fahy has denied work permits to an overseas film crew — who planned to film a documentary on the Rebecca Middleton murder — citing “potential reputational risks to Bermuda.” When the matter first arose late last month the Minister had said, “”The Middleton film crew were not... Read more of this article

Zikai Cann’s Murder Trial Set For June 2nd

Zikai Cann’s Murder Trial Set For June 2nd

The trial for Zikai Cann — who is charged in connection with the 2009 murder of Garry “Fingas” Cann — has been set for June 2nd. This new date was set during yesterday’s [Apr 1] Supreme Court Monthly Arraignment Session. The defendant’s lawyer Charles Richardson asked that there should be no further delays in this... Read more of this article

Edness Denies Murder Of Jason Lightbourne

Edness Denies Murder Of Jason Lightbourne

 28 year old Prince Edness appeared in the Supreme Court Monthly Arraignment Session today [Apr 1], where he denied the murder of Jason Lightbourne, who was murdered in 2006. Around 4am on Sunday, 23rd July, 2006, 18 year old Mr. Lightbourne [pictured] was behind the wheel of a white Daihatsu Charade sedan motorcar traveling in a westerly direction... Read more of this article

Jermaine Simmons Charged With 2009 Murder

Jermaine Simmons Charged With 2009 Murder

A 38 year old man was charged with the murder of Garry “Fingas” Cann in Magistrates Court this morning [Mar 31], becoming the second man to be charged in connection with the 2009 murder. Jermaine Simmons was charged with the premeditated murder of Mr. Cann on 15 December 2009, and also charged with using a firearm to commit an indictable... Read more of this article

Fahy: Middleton Crew Didn’t Apply For Permits

Fahy: Middleton Crew Didn’t Apply For Permits

Following confusion surrounding the immigration matters with an overseas film crew, Home Affairs Minister Michael Fahy has clarified that they weren’t refused work permits, they actually didn’t apply for them. Speaking in the Senate today, Minister Fahy said, “The Middleton film crew were not denied work permits. “Rather, they... Read more of this article

Video: Attorney-General On Sentencing Laws

Video: Attorney-General On Sentencing Laws

The Criminal Codes Amendment passed in the House of Assembly on Friday night [Mar 21], with MPs from both sides of the aisle supporting the Bill, which changes the laws for sentencing convicted murderers and gang members. The changes follow a ruling from the Privy Council in London last year [PDF], which stated that Bermuda laws do not allow for a minimum... Read more of this article

Tyrone Pedro Pleads Guilty To Manslaughter

Tyrone Pedro Pleads Guilty To Manslaughter

Twenty three year old Tyrone Pedro appeared in Supreme Court today [Mar 18] where he pleaded not guilty to unlawfully killing Steven Jireh Iris, but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter. Mr Iris was 22 when he died as a result of a stabbing that took place outside of a residence of Glebe Road on August 23, 2013. He was taken to hospital... Read more of this article

Prince Edness Charged With 2006 Murder

Prince Edness Charged With 2006 Murder

A 28 year old man appeared in Magistrates Court this morning [Jan 20] facing charges relating to a seven year old murder. Prince Edness was charged with the murder of Jason Lightbourne [pictured], who was murdered in 2006. As the charges are indictable and can only be heard in the Supreme Court, Edness did not have to enter a plea. Edness was remanded... Read more of this article

Murder Sentences: Govt Working On Changes

Murder Sentences: Govt Working On Changes

Following the recent parole eligibility reductions handed down to four convicted murderers, Attorney General Mark Pettingill said the Government has “worked quickly” to draft changes, and the new laws are expected be tabled in the House of Assembly next month. The ruling from the Privy Council in London last year [PDF] stated that Bermuda... Read more of this article

David Cox Re-Sentenced To Minimum Of 25 Yrs

David Cox Re-Sentenced To Minimum Of 25 Yrs

David Cox was today [Jan 16] re-sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years for the murder of 47-year-old Raymond Troy “Yankee” Rawlins. This is a reduction from his original sentence of 38 years. On August 9th 2010, Mr Rawlins was gunned down in the entrance of Spinning Wheel nightclub on Court Street. Cox... Read more of this article


Latest Tweets From Bernews