[Written by personal trainer and health coach Tania Kowalski]
Even the most motivated people experience slumps in productivity. It’s easy to focus on where we were before and to get stuck in whoas me mode.
When clicking the remote to find some mindless reality tv and rolling over in bed feels like it’s zapping the one ounce of energy that you have left, how can you get your rear back into gear?
There is hope, you are not alone and you can get your mojo back by taking small steps to getting back into your groove.
When I am feeling a lack of motivation it’s usually because I’ve been doing too much or all of my to-do’s are taking up too much mental space, I’ve lost FOCUS. Here are the things that work [and are always a work in progress!] for me to get my energy back.
- Pick Just One Thing – Write down one thing [choose a goal!] that you know will make you feel better and commit to it 100%. If you are trying to get out of bed to workout in the morning and haven’t been able to make it happen yet, engage a friend to make SURE that you get up and get moving. Set two alarms, ask your spouse to make sure that you get up…you get it! As much as the first few mornings may suck by the end of the first week you’ll be reminded of what you were missing by starting your day with moving your body and getting some energy and momentum.
- Move It! – Speaking of working out….we can shift our energy from negative to positive by just moving our bodies. Put on your favorite tune and dance around in your underwear. Smile, laugh, and have fun with it!
- Choose Abundant Thoughts – Instead of focusing on the parts of the process that you don’t love as much [hello 5am!], focus on all of positive results of your actions. So pertaining to getting up to work out, think about all of the good that you are doing for your body, mind, spirit, and energy. Focus on the benefits of the actions as opposed to thinking about the end result.
- Be Inspired – trade in the Reality TV time for watching, listening to, or reading something that inspires you. Listening to Tony Robbins never fails to get me motivated!
- Don’t Take Yourself Too Seriously – I am so guilty of this. If something doesn’t happen right away I can easily see my efforts as failures. When I can step back and focus on the things that really matter the most, I can see the big picture and not get so bummed about the small stuff.
- Get Grateful – if you get stuck believing that everything just plain sucks and that the world is conspiring against you, take the time to write out 50 things that you have to be grateful for, no matter how small. It’s really tough to feel down when you take the time to tap into all of the greatness around you.
- Phone a Friend – there’s nothing like hanging out with someone that makes you laugh and smile. Pick up the phone and schedule one on one time to walk, coffee, take a class…you see where I’m going with this.
- Take A Personal Day – If you just need a day where you don’t care for anyone else, where you don’t work, move, or think – take it! Give yourself the gift of exactly the kind of day that you need.
If any of these tips help you to get out of your slump or if you have any tips that work for you to get out of a rut, I’d love to hear about them.
Tania Kowalski is an ACE certified Personal Trainer and Health Coach and is Precision Nutrition Certified. Tania advocates that the right training and nutrition can transform your life and her passion is helping others to change theirs. You can follow Tania’s tips, workouts and recipes on Facebook [Health Fanatic] or on her website.
Read More About