The Minister of Health and the Bermuda Hospitals Board must provide Bermuda with answers to the many questions surrounding the tenure and resignation of the hospital’s high-priced Chief of Staff Dr. Donald Thomas, Opposition Seniors spokesman Louise Jackson said this afternoon.
Mrs Jackson said: “The BHB’s two-paragraph press statement announcing Dr. Thomas’s resignation is simply not good enough.”
“Its lack of transparency on this issue – aided and abetted by the Minister of Health – is exactly the kind of thing the Bermudian people have had enough of, particularly given that the controversy involves the management of millions of dollars of public money and the cost of people’s health care treatment.
“The Minister and the BHB must stop hiding behind self-made agreements to keep matters of public concern confidential. They can begin by answering the following questions:
- Why was Thomas hired in the first place given his questionable job history in California and licensing problems in Florida?
- Why was he suspended in the first place – and what procedures has the BHB put in place to make sure these problems won’t be repeated in the future?
- Why won’t the minister release Dr. Thomas’s salary information as required by the Bermuda Hospitals Board Act?
- Was Dr. Thomas on fully paid administrative leave since being suspended in July?
- We understand that Thomas has a major role in the creation and operation of Health Partners Limited (HPL). Will the Minister explain HPL’s $714,000 loss which was cited in the most recent BHB financial statements?
- What role did Dr. Thomas have in redirecting patients away from many of the local healthcare diagnostic firms, as well as charities like the Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre, and putting these small businesses and their employees at risk of business failure?
- The hospital has been the largest single driver of escalating healthcare costs in Bermuda in the last two years, which has caused every Bermudian to pay more. What role did Dr. Thomas play in the sharp increase in salaries at the BHB? What role did Dr. Thomas play in increasing specialist fees, some by 300 percent over the last several years?”
“These questions – and they are just the tip of the iceberg – cut to the heart of the need for greater accountability and transparency in the governance of Bermuda. Until we get that, distrust and doubt will remain along with the potential for the public interest,” concluded Mrs Jackson.
- Louise Jackson: ‘BHB Continue To Stonewall’
- Webcast Replay: Cabinet Ministers Sworn In
- Louise Jackson To Seniors: ‘Your Vote is Secure’
- OBA: “Rally An Endless Stream Of Attacks”
- OBA Release Final Part Of Election Platform
- OBA Release Jobs & Economic Turnaround Plan
Articles that link to this one:
- BHB Answers To Louise Jackson’s Questions | Bernews.com | October 2, 2012
- Health Minister On BHB/Dr Donald Thomas | Bernews.com | October 2, 2012