Bermuda has recorded the 5th road fatality of the year, with the unfortunate passing of 69 year old Derek Smith yesterday. The situation is eerily similar to the previous road traffic fatality this month, as both gentlemen were struck by motor vehicles while walking along North Shore.
Mr Smith had been involved the accident 14 weeks ago, and subsequently succumbed to his injuries around 9am on Saturday, April 24th at King Edward Memorial Hospital.
Mr. Smith was walking when he was hit by a motorcycle around 6:45pm on Monday, January 18th 2010 on North Shore Road in Hamilton Parish, near the junction with Workmen’s Lane.
The police say it appears that the Mr. Smith was attempting to cross the road in the area. A car in the eastbound lane stopped to allow him to cross, however a motorcycle traveling west on North Shore Road collided with him. Mr Smith reportedly sustained serious head and internal injuries at the time.
This the fifth road traffic fatality of 2010, the 3rd in April, and the 2nd involving a pedestrian:
- 41 yr old Andre Hendrickson died after being struck by a car on Apr 17.
- 26 yr old Carlton Darrell died on April 2nd after a single vehicle accident in Devonshire
- 23 year old Dareiko Simons died on January 9 after his bike collided with a car in Sandys.
- 21 year old heart transplant survivor Earl Ingemann died after a Jan 1st car crash in St. George’s.
Bernews extends our sincere sympathies to the family and friends of Mr. Smith.
- Traffic Victim Identified as Andre Hendrickson
- Road Traffic Fatality Victim Still Unidentified
- Pedestrian Dies After Being Struck By Car
- 45-Year-Old Dies After North Shore Collision
- Bermudian Killed In Accident Overseas
- Accident Victim: Dion Richardson
Articles that link to this one:
- Bermuda Road Traffic Fatality December 2010 Kirk Simons | Bernews.com | December 11, 2010