Video: House Fire On Middle Road In Devonshire

December 9, 2014

[Updated: BFRS confirm that three occupants of the home were taken to KEMH after experiencing smoke inhalation]

At sometime around 3.30pm this afternoon [Dec 9] a fire broke out at a property in the Middle Road, Devonshire area. Details are limited at this time, however we will update as able.

Fire middle rd Devonshire (2)

Update 4.05pm: A police spokesperson said that there is a structural fire in the Middle Road, Devonshire area by the post office, and traffic is being diverted to Middle Road and Orange Valley and Middle Road and Tee Street. The police advised there will be traffic delays and diversions.


Fire middle rd Devonshire (5)

Update 4.37pm: The Bermuda Fire & Rescue Service confirmed that two people were taken to KEMH to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Update 4.50pm: Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service Sergeant Russann Francis said, “Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to a fire with smoke and flames issuing at a two-story building.

“Currently, the fire has been extinguished and we are searching for any extension of fire. We had three vehicles with approximately 10 firefighters attend this blaze and the fire is currently under investigation.”

When asked about the couple who lived in the building, Sergeant Francis said, “At this time I can say that we did have two persons who were taken to KEMH to be assessed for smoke inhalation.”

Update 6.29pm: Single lane traffic heading into Hamilton has opened at the scene.

Update 9.41pm: The BFRS said, “At approximately 3:34 pm on Tuesday, December 9th, 2014, the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to a report of a 2-story dwelling involved in fire near Tee Street, on Middle Road in Devonshire. The Fire Service responded to the incident with 3 fire appliances staffed with 10 firefighters.”

Lieutenant Alec Swan, Sr. said, “As the first arriving vehicle we found smoke and flames during our approach. Firefighters dressed in breathing apparatus and equipped with a 1½” hose line began to extinguish the fire.

“Once the fire was brought under control, the firefighters made entry into the premise to carry out ventilation and an internal search for any extension of fire. The dwelling sustained structural damage and extensive heat and smoke damage.”

Fire Service spokesperson Sergeant Russann Francis added, “Firefighters confirmed that all persons were out of the home prior to entering the premises to extinguish the flames. At this time I can confirm that three occupants of the home were taken to the hospital to be assessed after experiencing smoke inhalation.

“This is an unfortunate incident which has occurred, especially with the Christmas Season so near.

“I would like to take this opportunity to remind the public of a general safety tip to remember – Close all doors when leaving the home which will help to contain a fire and reduce damage to other areas within the home, and as our theme for Fire Safety Week 2014 stated to utilise smoke alarms and test them monthly.

“At present the fire is still currently under investigation.”

Read More About

Category: Accidents and fires, All, News

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. biggadon says:

    thats to bad a homeowners worse fear…. sorry for this family….hopefully they have insurance

  2. Darryl says:

    Wow…God Bless. I pray that no one was inside….Home can always be restored. God Bless the family that lives there.

  3. M.T. Pockets says:

    In Fire Dept lingo, they call this the Thin Green Line. (a garden hose)

  4. Julene says:

    My heart goes out to this family. Will keep you in my prayers.

  5. bermy onion says:

    Just awful & I feel for the family, but thank God they are OK.

  6. Alvin Williams says:

    My God one of the owners of this house was a former working colleagues of mine; we were in the bank together and had exchange greetings. my god I hope that they can recover their lost.

  7. Triangle Drifter says:

    Any truth to the rumour that a truck from St Georges got there first by a long time?