Union: Govt Investment In Education ‘Abysmal’

July 6, 2017

“Electioneering should not place our students as pawns for political fodder. The truth is that this Government’s investment in Education has been abysmal,” the Bermuda Union of Teachers said.

A statement from the BUT said, “Numbers don’t lie! The Bermuda Union of Teachers has always encouraged, promoted and advocated for more investment in Education. The BUT has always encouraged, promoted and advocated for the better management of Education.

“This Government had other priorities. Electioneering should not place our students as pawns for political fodder. The truth is that this Government’s investment in Education has been abysmal.

Chart provided by the BUT:

Government Expenditure on Education Bermuda July 2017

The BUT added, “Here are the facts [taken from the Government of Bermuda Budget Book]:

  • From 2014-2015 there was a 19 million-dollar reduction in the Education budget.
  • This slight ‘increase’ from 2016 to 2017 does not even get us close to the 2013 budget allocated for Education; and is even less than the amount earmarked in 2015 which saw the drastic reduction of funds for Education.
  • Salaries comprise 92% of the budget; that leaves 8% to ‘run’ the system.
  • One third of the budget goes to the Government Aided Schools.

“In the spirit of openness, honesty and concerns for our students, teachers, principals and parents, we must let the numbers proclaim the truth.

“Electioneering is not a useful excuse to distort the truth. Here’s the bottom line, the numbers tell the truth!!”

click here banner education

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News, Politics

.

="banner728-container bottom clearfix">