$400,000 In Donations, Premier Says Thanks

April 7, 2020 | 2 Comments

“Donations and pledges have topped $400,000 from over 50 companies and individuals,” Premier David Burt said as he thanked everyone who has donated to assist the vulnerable in our community.

Speaking during last night’s press briefing, Premier Burt said, “I wish to pay tribute to the generosity of all of the corporations and individuals who have stepped up to support the delivery of essential services to the most vulnerable in our community.

“Donations and pledges have topped $400,000 from over 50 companies and individuals to the Emergency Fund set up for this purpose.

“Allocations from the fund are anticipated to surpass this amount, as of yesterday. We hope the public will continue to give as the needs are great and are expected to grow.

“Last week, $140,000 in emergency funds were distributed to ten organisations. An additional $311,000 will be deployed based on yesterday’s assessment of essential services and needs.

“This money is being spent in areas critical to helping us manage this pandemic based on international standards for national disasters, and in tandem with the priorities of the Emergency Measures Organisation and the Disaster Risk Reduction and Mitigation team.

“We have to make sure that our most vulnerable people are fed, our homeless are sheltered, women and children who are at-risk, are housed safely. We have to ensure that people who need medication have access to it and those who find themselves struggling to cope, know where they can get help.

  • “Groups like Salvation Army, Red Cross and St. John’s Ambulance, who were active before this crisis, continue to provide the most essential of support to our community and they deserve our thanks.
  • “Fourteen food distribution services are going to receive almost $100,00 in help to distribute meals, groceries and vouchers to the people who needed these services before this crisis and people who are now finding themselves needing help.
  • “Almost $80,000 in support from the emergency fund has been allocated to 21 nursing homes, helping them to get phone and wi-fi connectivity. This will allow the hard-working care staff to deliver health services to seniors in the nursing homes and allow those resident to stay in contact safely and securely, with family members.
  • “Groups that are providing shelter and a range of services for people who have substance abuse conditions will receive more than $100,000 to continue their services.
  • “The Ageing and Disabilities Team, Bermuda Health Council, Age Concern Bermuda, Vision Bermuda and the Bermuda Housing Trust and dedicated volunteers are working hard to ensure that seniors in nursing homes and in private residences are getting their needs met. We are also grateful for the roles that family members play in supporting seniors to stay safely in their homes.
  • “On behalf of these and other groups who support seniors, I must also remind you that our seniors are the most vulnerable to this COVID-19 virus. If you are taking care of an elderly family member, please take all necessary precautions before helping them.

“Thank you to the numerous volunteers who have kept these critical services going. You can learn more about the essential services that are supporting this community, online on the government website – coronavirus.gov.bm.

“Last, but not least, I would like to acknowledge the collective behind-the-scenes work of the Third Sector Coordinated Crisis Response Effort – comprising the following partnering organizations and individuals, with support of even more people too numerous to mention here:

  • Bank of Bermuda Foundation
  • Bermuda Community Foundation
  • Bermuda Health Council
  • Inter-Agency Committee for Children and Families
  • Age Concern Bermuda
  • And dedicated individuals who aren’t affiliated with any organizations but stepped forward to give of their time to make a difference for Bermuda.

“We ask that you please keep contributing to the Emergency Fund at www.bcf.bm to help ensure Bermuda’s most vulnerable people are safe, secure and continue to be provided for.”

covid-19 divider 1

As the island and world deals with the Covid-19 pandemic, we are doing our best to provide timely and accurate information, and you can find more information on the links below.

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, News

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Wow says:

    I know we are all working together here to defeat a hidden enemy. Only 2 months ago Premier Burt was declaring war on the very enemy who are helping to fight the hidden enemy. Come on Premier Burt we have to work together through all times not just the tough times.

  2. Boston Whaler Owner says:

    $400,000 In Donations, Premier Says Thanks

    the headline says it all!

Leave a Reply