Parishes of Bermuda

Bermuda has nine parishes, most of which cover just over 2.3 square miles [about 6.0 km² or 1500 acres]

  • Devonshire
  • Hamilton
  • Paget
  • Pembroke
  • Sandys
  • Smith’s
  • Southampton
  • St George’s
  • Warwick


  • Named for William Cavendish, 1st Earl of Devonshire [1552-1626]
  • Covers just over 2.3 square miles [about 6.0 km² or 1500 acres]
  • Features include Devonshire Bay, Devonshire Marsh, Fort Devonshire, Cedarbridge Academy and Bermuda National Stadium


  • Was originally called Bedford Parish
  • It was renamed for Scottish aristocrat James Hamilton, 2nd Marquess of Hamilton [1589-1625]
  • Features include Flatt’s Inlet, Trunk Island, Shelly Bay, Bailey’s Bay, Mangrove Lake, Trott’s Pond, Crystal Cave, Castle Harbor, the Causeway and the Bermuda Aquarium


  • Named for William Paget, 4th Baron Paget de Beaudesert [1572–1629]
  • Features include Hamilton Harbor, Coral Beach, Elbow Beach, Grape Bay, Hinson’s Island, King Edward VII Memorial and the Bermuda College


  • Named after William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke [1580-1630]
  • Features include Spanish Point, Point Shares, Fort Hamilton, and Government House


  • Named for English aristocrat Sir Edwin Sandys [1561-1629]
  • Features include Ely’s Harbor, the Cathedral Rocks, Daniel’s Head, Mangrove Bay, Somerset Bridge and the Royal Naval Dockyard


  • Named for English aristocrat Sir Thomas Smith/Smythe [1558-1625]
  • Features in Smith’s include Spittal Pond, John Smith’s Beach, Devil’s Hole, Gibbet Island, and Portuguese Rock


  • Named for Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton [1573-1624]
  • Features include Whale Bay, Church Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Riddell’s Bay and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

St George’s

  • Named after the founder of Bermuda Admiral Sir George Somers
  • Technically, St. George’s includes the island of St. David’s, however this is often considered a separate entity amongst locals
  • Features in St. George’s include Castle Harbour, Tobacco Bay, Ferry Reach, St. David’s Lighthouse, Fort St. Catherine, and the Bermuda Biological Station for Research
  • Also contains the Town of St. Georges, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.


  • Named for Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick [1587-1658]
  • Features include Warwick Long Bay, Riddell’s Bay, Darrell’s Island, Hawkins Island, Long Island and Warwick Camp

Bermuda map