Dozens of people turned out on Sunday [July 15] to attend the Mary Prince Tea held outside the Bermudian Heritage Museum. The event was one of many held in St. George’s to celebrate the first group of permanent settlers who arrived in Bermuda, 400 years ago.
Mary Prince was a Bermudian woman born into slavery in 1788 at Brackish Pond [now known as Devonshire Marsh] in Devonshire, Bermuda. Her parents were both slaves, her father – whose only given name was Prince – was a sawyer owned by David Trimingham; her mother – was a house servant owned by Charles Myners.
Her autobiography, ‘The History of Mary Prince’ published in 1831, was the first account of the life of a black woman to be published in the United Kingdom. Mary Prince spoke of slavery with the authority of personal experience, and her book helped to galvanize the abolitionist movement.
Those attending were treated to music, singing and a reading depicting some of the history regarding Mary Prince. Some of those attending included former Premier Dr Ewart Brown, Minister Dame Jennifer Smith, Minister Walter Roban, St David’s MP Lovitta Foggo, St George’s MP and UBP Leader Kim Swan and St George’s Mayor Kenneth Bascome.
President of the Bermudian Heritage Association and Exhibits Director Joy Wilson-Tucker:
President of the Bermudian Heritage Association and Exhibits Director, Joy Wilson-Tucker said, “We have been encouraged to put on our first ever Mary Prince Tea and make it a memorable celebration and view the exhibits we have here in the museum.
“We intend to highlight the history of the many slaves that were not only born in Bermuda but brought to Bermuda.” Ms Wilson-Tucker went on to encourage everyone to visit the Bermudian Heritage Museum located in St George’s.
Click to enlarge photos:
- Photos: 2012 Service Honouring James Darrell
- Photos: Santa & The Kids In St George’s
- Photos: Rubber Duck Derby Fundraiser
- Photos: St. George’s Christmas Santa Parade
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Peppercorn Ceremony
- Photos: 2011 Peppercorn Ceremony