Video footage of last week’s rescue of six Newport to Bermuda sailors has been uploaded on Youtube. A 41-foot sailboat returning to the US after the 2012 Newport to Bermuda Race was abandoned after suffering rudder damage, with the cruise ship ‘Norwegian Star’ picking up the sailors 230 miles off Bermuda on June 26th.
The Bermuda Maritime Operations Centre said the 41 ft sloop ‘Avenir’ — which departed Bermuda bound for Newport, Rhode Island — suffered rudder damage in position 230 miles northwest of Bermuda and was in need of assistance.
Unsuccessful attempts were made by the crew to jury rig a temporary rudder, and the decision was made by Captain and crew to abandon vessel. The cruise ship ‘Norwegian Star’ — which was on its way to Bermuda –was diverted to the yacht’s position, picking up the six survivors.
- Evacuation At Sea: Lessons Learned
- Boat Abandoned, Sailors Picked Up By Cruise Ship
- Details Emerge: Evacuation Of Seabiscuit Skipper
- Spirit Wins Award For ‘Exemplary Seamanship’
- Video: Newport Sailor Evacuated Via Helicopter
- Bermuda Report Retracted By US Coast Guard