Starling Appointed Greenrock Executive Director

October 31, 2015

Jonathan Starling has been appointed as Greenrock’s Executive Director, with the organisation saying they “believe he has the skills, experience and qualifications to be an asset to Greenrock in this role.”

“Jonathan has outstanding qualifications for the role, with hands on experience with Bermuda’s natural environment through conservation research at BIOS and the Bermuda Biodiversity Project; academic qualifications in biology, anthropology, ecological economics and urban and regional planning; and experience working on social and economic research in the UK with Forest Research and the Scottish Government,” the latest Greenrock newsletter said.

“We believe he has the skills, experience and qualifications to be an asset to Greenrock in this role. He will be starting immediately, with his first official engagement being the Green Building Forum on November 3rd.”

Mr Starling said, “I would like to thank the Board for placing their faith in me with this important position and providing me with a terrific opportunity to give back to the community using the skills and experiences I’ve gained.

“I would also like to thank my predecessors in this position, Gordon Johnson and Bonnie McGlynn. They have been excellent stewards and leave some big shoes for me to fill!

“We all have an important role to play in the challenge of creating a more sustainable community, and we all have the ability to contribute, either through joining or supporting Greenrock and its programmes and projects, or in our daily lives.

“I look forward to working with Greenrock’s many partners among the third sector, business and Government in meeting the challenge of sustainability for our island and in our time.

“I also look forward to meeting personally with all of Greenrock’s members, volunteers, supporters and donors as soon as I am able to do so, and I encourage anyone interested in contributing to Bermuda’s sustainability to get in contact with me at Greenrock.”

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, Environment, News

Comments (17)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Terry says:

So I take it he is back in Bermuda?

2. bluebird says:

Will we be getting some GREEN onto that HUGE DEBT that has been left to the children and grandchildren of this little island compliments of the PLP/BIU.
    Close to $500,000.00 or another way half a million dollars “PER DAY” in interest on the debt that we have.
    Now that $500,000.00 or half a million would buy us one heck of a lot of greens rocks instead of it going out of our little Island that thinks we are a BIG COUNTRY.
    So now the he has a job and I suppose will be asking for other peoples money.Thats what Liberals call progress.

3. Cindy Swan says:

Congratulations Jonathan, Greenrock and our environment are fortunate to have you. We will miss your honest social and labour focused commentaries.

4. sebring says:

hey bermey news wtf is going on just seen and heard police chase away kids from the vicinity in warwick with a stuky build pc claiming that they should arrest parents when my neighbor whent out to find her kids in all this abuse . I normaly close my blinds and let Halloween pass me by but the shouting of this one officer made me come out and see he called out I do not care if you fifty you most go home !!!! I was in my house and came out when they where searching my trash bins and property I called out asking if they needed the lights on ! ONL;Y TO BE IGNORED ,. I UNDERSTAND they think they are doing the right thing but they are wrong and warnings to leave the area or be arrested on the loud speaker maybe I am wrong but wtf!!!!

5. Jonathan D Smith says:

Congratulations Jonathan Starling and it’s good to see a Bermudian returning home.

6. Unbelievable says:

I feel like this is going to be a political appointment even though the Board at GR didn’t intend it to be.

• Terry says:

See Jonathan D. Smith’s reply above.

Two peas in a pod of PLP.

7. Curious says:

Congratulations to Mr. Starling on your appointment. It is heartening to see Greenrock has finally opened up their process of hiring staff and it is a credit to you that you have been selected. May the process of community engagement, participation and inclusion continue and flourish under your leadership at Greenrock.

8. Terry says:

What do you get when you get an Ex-Commissioner of Police endorcing a socialist

You judge.

9. Zevon says:

I hope Greenrock are happy with him as time goes on, because they are stuck with him now.

10. Rita Realistic says:

Maybe he will stop embarrassing himself and stop slating the Queen and the Royal Family on social media now? Oh and the U.K.,as he has a lot of negative things to say about that too.

• Varied says:

As a private citizen he has the rights to his beliefs, as do the rest of us.

As new ED of this organisation, most likely he’d have to temper his statements, it is what it is.

• jt says:

The position is best served by someone who presents themselves as politically neutral.
        We’ll see.

Latest Podcasts

Podcast: World Champion Triathlete Flora Duffy

Podcast: World Champion Triathlete Flora Duffy

In the latest Bernews podcast, one of Bermuda’s greatest athletes of all time, Flora Duffy, says being a world champion is something she has dreamed of since she was eight-years-old. Ms Duffy was back in Bermuda taking a short break after a grueling year which has seen her achieve outstanding success. “When I started racing, I […]

Share via email
November 14, 2016 | 0 Comments
Podcast: Dr Fleming On Issues Affecting Seniors

Podcast: Dr Fleming On Issues Affecting Seniors

In the latest Bernews Podcast, we talk to Dr Claudette Fleming, the Executive Director of Age Concern, about issues affecting senior citizens in Bermuda. Dr Fleming talks about research she has done in Bermuda as well as the effects of the recession on Age Concern’s members. She also addresses the issue of income disparity and […]

Share via email
October 17, 2016 | 2 Comments
Podcast: Martha Dismont On Child Neglect/Abuse

Podcast: Martha Dismont On Child Neglect/Abuse

In the latest Bernews podcast, we sit down with Martha Dismont, the Executive Director of the Family Centre, which has recently launched a campaign called ‘Neglect Is Abuse, See It, Stop It’ to try and stem a significant rise in cases of child neglect. Ms Dismont links the rise in neglect cases directly “to the […]

Share via email
September 23, 2016 | 2 Comments
Podcast: Baron On Crime, Road Safety & More

Podcast: Baron On Crime, Road Safety & More

In this latest Bernews podcast, we speak to the Minister of National Security Jeff Baron who revealed than gang membership has dropped by more than 150 people. Yet, he says, gangs are still changing and recruiting – sometimes even from schools. The Minister talks about his plans for restorative justice – which focuses on both the needs […]

Share via email
August 30, 2016 | 8 Comments
Podcast: Governor On Airport, Commission, More

Podcast: Governor On Airport, Commission, More

In this latest Bernews podcast, we interview George Fergusson who will soon be stepping down as Governor. He touches on a wide range of issues such as turning down a request to hold a Commission of Inquiry into the Tucker’s Point land matter, the airport redevelopment, the effect on Bermuda of Brexit, the British Government’s […]

Share via email