The Department of Parks described several upgrades planned for Horseshoe Bay Beach including the addition of a new staircase with a moongate leading onto the Outdoor Patio Area, the construction of a buttery-style roof above the existing entrance to the Concession Building and much more.
Rick Olson — whose company was awarded the concession — previously said, “We intend to preserve the natural beauty and safety of Bermuda’s beaches, while also maintaining a casual and relaxing food, beverage and entertainment experience out of renovated and refurbished premises.
“As part of our strategy, we intend to develop a brand that becomes internationally recognised and beach centric, which is environmentally conscious and both relaxing and exciting.”
A spokesperson said, “The Department of Parks is excited to inform the public about several upgrades planned for the Concession Building and surrounding area at Horseshoe Bay Beach in South Shore Park, Southampton aimed at improving the user experience.
“These upgrades can be seen on the site plan below, and are to include the following:
- The addition of a new staircase with a moongate leading onto the Outdoor Patio Area. The purpose is to provide an additional access, in keeping with Bermuda architectural style, onto the Outdoor Patio Area. This will help to alleviate the congestion of people which currently occurs with only one access point.
- The installation of an overhead sail-style shade system in the area immediately in front of the Concession Building and Restroom Facility, and above the Outdoor Patio Area. The purpose is to provide some shade in these serviced areas.
- The installation of a security fence from the northwest corner of the Restroom Building to the western property boundary. The purpose is to provide enhanced security for the Concession Building and surrounding area.
- The construction of a covered bar area on the Outdoor Patio Area. The purpose is to improve the overall function and layout of the Concession Building by providing an additional service outlet.
- The replacement of the damaged roof above the south-western end of the Concession Building with a timber roof with deck above. The purpose is to provide additional outdoor seating space while conducting necessary repairs.
- The construction of a buttery-style roof above the existing entrance to the Concession Building and extension of concrete slab. The purpose is to address the cause of identified leaks, and to provide a better connection between the Concession Building and Restroom Facility via the access ramp.
“The public is invited to visit the Main Office of the Department of Parks to inspect the proposed plans and/or to provide comments on these developments to the Minister of Public Works, for his consideration.
“All comments must be in writing and hand delivered to the Department of Parks, 169 South Road Paget, by no later than 5pm on Friday, 22nd April,
“As the public may recall, the Ministry of Public Works announced that the tender for the Horseshoe Bay Concession has been awarded to Chops Ltd.
“Chops Ltd. promises a classic, vibrant, laidback Bermuda Beach experience. There are plans for a happy hour, live music, and an exciting mix of local and ethnic cuisine will be on offer along with the rental of chairs, beach toys, umbrellas and snorkel gear. There will also be a small retail gift shop.”