Hurricane Gordon caused only minor flooding and power outages as it hit the Azores archipelago early today [Aug 20], Reuters reports. There was little property damage aside from some broken doors and windows, and no reports of injuries.
Footage from the Azores posted on Youtube yesterday :
Power supply was re-established after brief outages in a few locations, but some roads remained blocked by fallen trees. The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Hurricane Gordon was expected to keep weakening and become a post-tropical cyclone later today.
Bermuda has always had a connection with the Azores, and numerous Bermudians having Azorean ancestry.
- Tropical Storm Prompts Warning In Azores
- Weather Forecast For Wednesday May 22
- Weather Forecast For Tuesday May 21
- Premier Sends Condolences To Oklahoma
- Dr Castanho On Bermuda/Azores Connection
- Slideshow: Santo Cristo Celebration At BAA