450 people have signed a petition hosted by the Center of Justice urging the Government to amend the Human Rights Act 1981 to prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.
“I can not believe this is still an issue. Human rights should be Human rights for all,” said one person.
Another said: “Asking for equal rights implies they are yours to give. Instead, we are vehemently demanding that you stop trying to deny the LBGTQ community the rights all people deserve.”
And another said: “In this day and age it’s despicable that a country like Bermuda still has not updated their laws to prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.”
In July of this year politicians debated adding an amendment to the Human Rights Act to ban discrimination based on age and sexual discrimination, with the majority of MPs who spoke in favour of extending the Human Rights Act.
- Groups Call For Human Rights Act Amendment
- Minister Blakeney: Equality Legislation In Bermuda
- Rainbow Alliance Responds To Throne Speech
- Videos: International Day Against Homophobia
- Rainbow Alliance Seeks Clarity From Bean, PLP
- Sexual Orientation/Age Discrimination Debate