Saying that Bermuda is “behind the times” and calling for action “not only for dog owners, but all Bermudians with moral standards,” an online petition calling for the removal of pit-bulls from the island’s list of prohibited dogs has been signed over 420 times as of today [Apr 11] as it attempts to reach its goal of 500 signatures.
The petition says, “BSL, or Breed Specific Legislation, allows animal control to seize and kill animals based on their breed instead of their actual behavior. This is inhumane, and unethical, and outdated.
“We as a collective want a change in the practices of the dogs act, and also to allow an amnesty for the dogs already on the island. Be part of the solution not the problem.”
The petition’s full overview follows below:
This is a call to action, not only for dog owners but all Bermudians with moral standards. Bermuda is behind the times, and we need to amend the dog legislation’s… “BSL” or “Breed Specific Legislation” allows animal control to seize and KILL animals based on their breed instead of their actual behavior. This is inhumane, and unethical, and outdated. So here is what we want to do:
We as a collective want a change in the practices of of the dogs act, and
also to allow an amnesty for the dogs already on the island.. Be part of the solution not the problem..
1. We hope to amend the legislation to promote responsible ownership of a breed that is deemed prohibited and therefore euthanized regardless of animals behavior.
2. We hope to educate Bermuda on the double standard practices of killing a particular breed that we have allowed amnesties for, we recognize a breed deemed fit for amnesty cannot also be deemed fit for euthanasia.
3. We wish to allow owners to be responsible for their pets through amended licensing regulations ***amended dogs act***
4. We also wish to bring to light the fact that the similar [if not almost exactly the same] type of dog’s are being sold locally and legally with no regulation what so ever, but anything deemed a “pit-bull” is subject to being killed, this is some kind of double-standard nobody is addressing, and these laws are built around a fear of dogs, we are not advocating for all to have rights to dog ownership [there should be restrictions, licensing, and careful vetting of potential owners of larger breed's of dogs as a whole on the island]
5. We do not condone animal abuse, illegal breeding, and teaching dogs anti social behavior – we do condone and promote proper training, animal insurance policies, and a wide range of security and environment restrictions that should be in place to ensure a safe and happy lifestyle for both dog’s and their loving owners.
If you agree with our statement please sign this petition in a show of support.
[Please only sign this if you are Bermudian, or reside in Bermuda]
We do not wish for international signatures on this specific petition as it’s Bermuda Specific.