Photos/Video: ‘Blessing Of The Boats’ Ceremony

June 17, 2018 | 0 Comments

[Updated with photos] The traditional Blessing of the Boats — which dates back to 1849 — is taking place this morning [June 17], with Bishop Nicholas Dill and Reverend Tom Slawson being rowed from St George’s to St David’s to bless boats that gather at Chapel of Ease Dock.

Update: The live broadcast has ended, and the 45-minute replay is below

The traditional Blessing of the Boats arises from the long established connection of the people of St David’s with the fishing and boat-pilot occupation and dates back to 1849 when the Chapel of Ease was consecrated.

There were no bridges or land links between St David’s and the rest of the Island at that time, so Bishop Field was rowed across the harbour by four sons of clergymen who volunteered for the service.


.

Many boats were in evidence that day as the Bishop passed through their midst waving and giving his blessing, an act which started the annual tradition.

To commemorate that occasion, and as part of the long association with the seafarers of St David’s, the Chapel of Ease holds the annual service.

Click to enlarge photos:

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, Marine, News, Photos, Videos

Leave a Reply

Sign Up For Our Free Email Newsletters

email-banners-good-news-370