[Updated - At approximately 11.30am today [July 23] an insulator on a utility pole was struck by lightning, causing the Swing Bridge in St George’s to become stuck and a massive traffic jam to form on both sides. BELCO responded and quickly fixed the issue, with the bridge re-opening at approximately 12.30pm]
There is a massive traffic jam at the Swing Bridge in St George’s this afternoon, with the bridge appearing to be ‘stuck’.
As of 12.15pm there are severe traffic delays; traffic is backed up along Ferry Reach on Kindly Field Road and on the St George’s side, traffic is backed up past the junction of Ferry Road.
Motorbikes and pedestrians were being allowed to cross the bridge, and some bus passengers could be seen getting off the bus and making their way across the bridge on foot.
Update 12.34pm: The bridge has just re-opened to traffic, after being closed for approximately one hour. Unofficial reports indicate it was some form of an electrical problem that caused the bridge to become stuck. We will update with official information as able.
Update 1.01pm: BELCO confirm that an insulator on a utility pole was struck by lightning; and the repair is now complete.
- BELCO Working in St George’s Tomorrow
- Valentine Balloon Causes Power Outage
- Since 1849: “Blessing Of The Boats”
- Photos: Blessing Of The Boats, Held Since 1849
- St George Police Station Re-Opens After Repairs
- Meet 2012 Miss St George’s: Shannon Ingram
Articles that link to this one:
- Photos/Video: Lightning Strikes Off East End | Bernews.com | July 28, 2012
- Lightning Damages Bermuda Maritime Centre | Bernews.com | August 17, 2012