Three Remain In Custody, Man Stable In ICU

January 2, 2018 | 18 Comments

Three men remain in police custody, a 23-year-old man is in stable condition in the ICU, and police have recovered a quantity of jewellery and other items from individuals who were robbed at the Fairmont Southampton Resort, the police confirmed today.

In addition, Police are appealing for anyone who saw any of these incidents or has any information that can assist investigators, anyone who was the victim of any other crimes, or anyone who may have video footage of these incidents to please contact them.

Incidents: Melee, Man Found Unconscious, Robberies

Early on New Year’s Eve day were multiple incidents at the resort, with police confirming they responded to reports of a “melee where projectiles were thrown,” a male found unconscious after “he was set upon by a group of males, a male “robbed of his helmet and cellular device in the parking lot,” and another male “robbed of his chain whilst attending a room party.”

Fairmont Southampton’s Comments

Shelley Meszoly, Regional Director of Sales & Marketing at Fairmont Southampton, previously said, “The safety and security of our guests and colleagues is always our number one priority at Fairmont Southampton.

“Our property security includes extensive internal protocols and a wide range of measures in place to safeguard our buildings and to protect our guests and colleagues.

“As always, on New Year’s Eve, additional security measures were in place and local police authorities were onsite throughout the evening to support the efforts of the hotel’s security team.

“In response to the isolated incidences at the resort last evening, additional police were called in to secure the situation and ensure the safety of everyone onsite.

“We are cooperating with local law enforcement on their ongoing investigation and to ensure that the most effective safety and security plans are in place at the hotel, providing a safe environment for all visitors and colleagues.

Minister of Economic Development and Tourism Jamahl Simmons Comments

Minister Simmons said, “Violence and criminal activity of any sort have no place in our society. We condemn the incident in the early hours of New Year’s Day and encourage members of the public to assist in the investigation.

“I have reached out to the General Manager at resort and have offered our support and encouragement.

“As we seek to grow our economy and attract more visitors to our shores, each of us have a responsibility and a role to play in preserving the peaceful and tranquil reputation for which we are globally renowned; not just for our visitors but for each of us who call Bermuda home.”

Today’s Police Statement

A police spokesperson said, “Police can confirm that three men remain in police custody as a result of the incidents that took place at the Fairmont Southampton Resort and a 23-year-old man is listed in stable condition in the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit after being assaulted.

“Police have also recovered a quantity of jewellery and other personal items from individuals who were robbed.

“Officers will be liaising with hotel management to establish if any other offences were committed overnight by those engaged in this irresponsible bad behaviour, with a view to reviewing security protocols going forward.

“As enquiries continue, police are specifically appealing for:

  • “Anyone who was at the Fairmont Southampton on New Year’s Eve into New Year’s Day and saw any of these incidents or has any information that can assist investigators
  • “Anyone that may have had their jewellery taken from them at the premises during these incidents or was the victim of any other crimes
  • “Anyone who may have mobile phone video footage of these anti-social incidents at Fairmont Southampton

“To call Acting Detective Chief Inspector Dave Greenidge at the Criminal Investigation Department on 247-1185 or e-mail dgreenidge@bps.bm. Alternatively, persons with relevant information can call the independent and anonymous Crime Stoppers hotline 800-8477.”

Share via email

Read More About

Category: All, Crime, News

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. wahoo says:

    Should we set up a COI? After all this type of behavior has no place in our society.

    • Toodle-oo says:

      Sure . A COI that will be carefully and deliberately set up so that YOU are the one who ends up looking like the cause of the problem !

  2. Fur says:

    This is absolutely disgusting. At one of our top resorts on the Island. How did this situation escalate without Security intervening. These thugs need to be taught a lesson on how NOT to act when out. I hope they are held responsible for cleaning up there mess and have them do other odd jobs around the hotel.

    • Onionjuice says:

      Yes it is .. but I blame the leaders of this country, We have to have PUNISHMENT for people that disrupt the normal life and laws. Until then this will go on and on…Follow the lead of some countries that do not have this type of problems… Government just wants to talk about it . Waste money setting up programs.. IF you stamp it out we will not need to talk and set up programs.. Deeds not words

    • Marge says:

      Security at the fairmont hotel should be fired.

  3. facts of the rock says:

    WHY were 14/15 year old kids allowed to run in and out of rooms,
    WHO rented these rooms,
    WHY was NO deposit taken,
    how many tourists were disturbed,

    never mind,Bermuda has gone down the toilet long ago,it’s just no one has the guts to press the flush.

    • Hair says:

      I so agree, facts of the rocks. Flush them out!!

    • Sara says:

      These are questions that Southampton P should be responsible for answering for sure! They so dropped the ball on this one. Very poor management indeed.

  4. Straightbackward says:

    This is not my culture.

  5. Truth is killin' me... says:

    DISGUSTING!!!

  6. Oh really says:

    Where were the parents that allowed their kids to attend such ignorNce. Wait a minute they were out and about having a good time just as their unruly kids were. Disgusting behavior on all counts. Charge the parents for the monsters they have created. Name and shame all of them.

  7. Cris says:

    let have the information of the adults, pictures and names who are accountable.

  8. ella says:

    Shameful! Disgusted!! Have they just RUINED it for us Locals? Im surprised that for a 3-4 star (or is it a 5 star) hotel they did not take a deposit before checkin in. What gives? I find that very strange for SouthP.

  9. nerema says:

    People were on here saying how going down the beach on Christmas Day and being friendly was ‘not Bermudian culture’.

    I guess this behavior is the Bermudian culture I keep hearing about. Getting drunk, acting like lowlifes, having fights, and robbing people.

    • Toodle-oo says:

      Ask OJ for clarification .(Notice how silent he’s been over all of this ?)
      He’s the expert on ‘two Bermudas’ !

  10. Truth is killin’ me... says:

    Bermuda needs to get it’s act together STAT!!

  11. Oh,I see now says:

    Post their faces all over the media most will be embarrassed at the exposure outside their gang culture.At the very least the public will have an idea whom they are dealing with(not my apt you wont).What sickens me is family and friends championing their cause and then whining about antisocial behavior to co-workers and whomever.

Leave a Reply

="banner728-container bottom clearfix">