Yesterday afternoon [Feb 25] the Passing Out Parade for Recruit Foundation Course #73 took place at Police Headquarters in Prospect, Devonshire.
In attendance at the ceremony were several dignitaries including: Acting Governor Mr. David Arkley, Acting Minister of National Security Walter Roban, Attorney General & Minister of Justice Michael Scott, Senator Michael Dunkley, Commissioner of Police Michael DeSilva, Permanent Secretary of National Security Major Marc Telemaque, Commanding Officer of the Bermuda Regiment Lt. Col. Brian Gonsalves. Chief Fire Officer Bermuda Fire & Rescue Service Vincent Hollinsid, Assistant Commissioner of Corrections Lionel Young, Acting Deputy Commandant Bermuda Reserve Police Cannoth Roberts and Collector of Customs Winifred Fostine DeSilva.
Ten officers were on parade, led by Parade Commander Inspector Charlene Thompson, who is the first female officer to lead a Passing Out Parade. The new officers are as follows:
- Police Constable 2437 Kidane Collins
- Police Constable 2436 Michael Charlton
- Police Constable 2438 Rhiannon Furbert
- Police Constable 2441 Cecilia Rogers
- Police Constable 2440 Khalid Pitcher
- Police Constable 2435 Christopher Brady
- Police Constable 2439 Patricia Jeffers
- Police Constable 2426 Kristyn Minors
- Police Constable 2442 Nathaneal Tannock
- Police Constable 2433 David McHugh
It is the tradition of each Recruit Foundation Course to raise money to donate to a charity of their choice. This year’s recipient is the Bermuda Cancer & Health Centre. Rhonda Smith-Simmons received a cheque for $3,520 on behalf of the Bermuda Cancer & Health Centre from PC David McHugh. PC McHugh raised $2,400 dollars of that total by running in the International Race Weekend. The rest of the money was raised by a RFC #73 car wash at Paget Shell gas station.
There were several awards presented during the ceremony. The recipients were:
- Instructors Cup – PC Rhiannon Furbert for the fastest time (female) on the Flatts 10K run (1 hour, 3 minutes, 38 seconds)
- Instructors Cup – PC David McHugh for the fastest time (male) on the Flatts 10K run (44 minutes, 16 seconds)
- All Round Athlete & Physical Fitness – PC Cecilia Rogers (female) & PC David McHugh (male).
Deputy Commissioners Cup
- Awarded to PC Khalid Pitcher. “The award is for the best effort on the course and the officer who has made the most significant progress.”
- PC Khalid Pitcher as chosen by his colleagues on RFC #73.
- Awarded to PC Cecilia Rogers who achieved an overall test average of 88.9%. Only 1.8% separated the top four student officers.
- Awarded to Blue Syndicate led by Sergeant Larry Dean and consisting of PC Michael Charlton, PC Christopher Brady, PC Patricia Jeffers, PC Kristyn Minors & PC Khalid Pitcher.
Baton of Honour
- Awarded to PC Kristyn Minors who was selected as the most distinguished student officer by the Training Staff.
Photos by Only the Best, click to enlarge:
- Photos: 2011 Queen’s Birthday Parade
- Photo Set #3: 2012 Queen’s Birthday Parade
- Photo Set #1: 2012 Queen’s Birthday Parade
- Photos/Videos: 2011 Police Promotion Ceremony
- Photos: 2010 Police Change of Command Ceremony
- Photos/Video: Police Recruit Passing Out Parade