[Updated] The Convening of Parliament Ceremony will take place at approximately 11am this morning [Feb 8] on the Cabinet Office grounds on Front Street.
Premier Craig Cannonnier and Members of Parliament will gather to hear the Governor George Fergusson deliver the Throne Speech, which outlines the Government’s Legislative Agenda for the year ahead.
This will be the first ever Throne Speech from the One Bermuda Alliance, who took control of the Government following their victory at the polls in December 2012.
The new Speaker of the House will also be selected today, ending speculation that has been swirling over whether the speaker will be drawn from the Government MPs, or whether veteran PLP MP Randy Horton will accept the position.
There are 15 MPs who were newly elected to the House in the 2012 General Election: Kenneth Bascome, Nandi Davis, Suzann Roberts-Holshouser, Sylvan Richards, Michael Dunkley, Glen Smith, R Wayne Scott, Jeff Sousa, Leah Scott, Jeanne Atherden and Susan Jackson from the OBA; while the new PLP MPs are Walton Brown, David Burt, Rolfe Commissiong, and Lawrence Scott.
The proceedings will covered live on radio station ZBM FM89 beginning at 10.50am, and we will also bring live text updates through the day.
The weather looks as though it may not be poised to co-operate, with the Bermuda Weather Service issuing a Thunderstorm Advisory valid for this afternoon through tonight.
Live coverage has ended, scroll down to view the updates:
- Opposition Delivers Reply To The Throne Speech
- Videos: Ministers Throne Speech Statements
- Video: Premier’s Throne Speech Comments
- Randy Horton Selected As New House Speaker
- Full Document & Highlights: 2013 Throne Speech
- Photo Set #2: 2013 Convening Of Parliament
Articles that link to this one:
- Photo Set #1: 2013 Convening Of Parliament | Bernews.com | February 8, 2013
- Video: Premier’s Throne Speech Comments | Bernews.com | February 8, 2013
- Video: Governor Reads 2013 Throne Speech | Bernews.com | February 9, 2013