[Updating - Assistant Commissioner of Police David Mirfield confirmed the victim -- a 24-year-old man -- has died. The shooting occurred at approximately 11.40pm in the bus stop by Woody's, and the victim was rushed to Port Royal Fire Station where he was pronounced dead. He had been traveling with other people on what we understand to be a mini-bus.
Mr Mirfield said: "The victim was on a coach outing of some sort and was shot potentially while still on the coach and was taken from the scene while still in that same vehicle. We believe the offenders were on a motorcycle, two offenders, and fired several rounds at the victim and left on the motorcycle.
The following day the police named the 24-year-old man as Lorenzo Stovell, and confirmed that Mr Stovell -- who was disabled from a previous shooting -- was fatally shot while sitting outside Woody’s.]
At sometime around midnight there was a shooting in Sandys, and we understand one person was injured. The extent of the victim’s injuries are unknown at this time.
As of 12.30am Malabar Road is blocked off in the general area by Woodys’s and the gas station, with police officers stationed on both sides, and the Forensics Unit arriving on scene at 1am. There was also a heavy police presence at the hospital just after midnight, with multiple police officers and vehicles seen at KEMH.
It is not clear exactly where the shooting took place, however there appears to be multiple bullet casings in the road area and police officers were seen inspecting the bus shelter. Details remain limited at this time, however we will update as able.
Update 1.38am: Some commuters are being made to wait at the police cordon, however a few are being allowed across. What appears to be possibly six or seven bullet casings can be seen in the road. The police continue to investigate the scene.
Update 1.53am: The group of people who are waiting at the police cordon are settling in, with the realization the road may be blocked for a while.
Update 2.02am: The Forensic Unit can be seen inspecting the walls of the bus shelter. Assistant Commissioner of Police David Mirfield has just arrived on scene, which can be taken as a indication this incident may be serious in nature.
Update 2.13am: Some of the people who were waiting to cross the blocked area of the road are being escorted across by police officers. Police officers can be seen inspecting the dock area behind the bus shelter.
Update 2.32am: Police continue to investigate the scene. We are expecting to receive an official statement shortly.
Update 2.37am: Assistant Commissioner of Police David Mirfield confirmed the victim — a 24-year-old man — has died.
The shooting occurred at approximately 11.40pm, when the victim was on a “coach trip.” The victim was taken to Port Royal Fire Station where he was pronounced dead. The suspects are believed to have traveled on a motorbike.
Mr Mirfield said: “The victim was on a coach outing of some sort and was shot potentially while still on the coach and was taken from the scene while still in that same vehicle. We believe the offenders were on a motorcycle, two offenders, and fired several rounds at the victim and left on the motorcycle.”
Update 2.56am: Statement from Assistant Commissioner of Police David Mirfield:
This follows only a few weeks after another firearm incident in the same general location, which saw the suspect[s] arrive via jet ski from Spanish Point and unsuccessfully attempt to fire what appeared to be a ‘machine gun.’ It is also the second firearm incident this month, following after the incident at the Boat Club on North Shore in Devonshire in which no one was injured.
Anyone with any information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Serious Crime Unit on 247-1739 or the independent and anonymous Crime Stoppers hotline on 800-8477.
Update 4.37am: The police issued a written statement, it follows in full below.
At 11:40pm on Sunday, September 23rd a shooting occurred outside Woody’s Bar on Malabar Road in Sandys parish, in a bus layby.
As a result, a 24 year old man was shot and later succumbed to his injuries. The victim was taken from the scene by private transport to Port Royal Fire Station, where he was examined by an on call doctor and pronounced dead at that location.
As such, a murder investigation has been commenced by the Serious Crime Unit. The circumstances of the fatal shooting are unclear at this time; however it appears that the victim was onboard a coach, on a coach outing of some sort, and was shot – potentially while still on the coach – and was taken from the scene in that same vehicle.
It is believed that the suspects were two men on a motorcycle who rode up to the coach and fatally shot the victim, before making good their escape on the motorcycle. At this time the scene is still cordoned off and is being forensically examined for evidence.
Police are appealing for anyone who was in the area at the time, particularly any patrons of Woody’s, to contact the Serious Crime Unit on 247-1739 or the confidential and anonymous Crime Stoppers hotline on 800-8477. No further details regarding the deceased will be given at this time, until the next of kin have been notified.
Update 8.59am: To clarify, by “coach trip”, we believe Mr Mirfield was referring to a bus, with unofficial reports indicating the victim was on mini-bus with a group of other young people.
Update 11.43am: The police named the 24-year-old man who was murdered last night as Lorenzo Stovell, and confirmed that Mr Stovell, who was disabled, was fatally shot while sitting outside Woody’s. Full details here.
Update 4.00pm: The Governor, National Security Minister and Opposition Leader have all urged people to assist the police, and also extended their condolences to Mr Stovell’s family. Full details here.
Update 7.21pm: A 24-year-0ld Sandys parish resident was arrested in connection with Mr Stovell’s murder. A police spokesperson said: “The Bermuda Police Service has taken a 24 year old Sandys Parish resident into custody in relation to the murder of Lorenzo Stovell. The subject was arrested early this evening by officers from our Armed Response Units.”
- One Person Arrested: Lorenzo Stovell Murder
- ‘Shocked, Saddened By Another Pointless Death’
- Murder Victim Named As Lorenzo Stovell
- Witness Appeal: Murder of Jason Smith
- Malcolm Augustus Murder: Three People Arrested
- Tribute Video: Murder Victim Jason Smith
Articles that link to this one:
- Murder Victim Lorenzo Stovell Was In Wheelchair | Bernews.com | September 24, 2012
- ‘Shocked, Saddened By Another Pointless Death’ | Bernews.com | September 24, 2012
- One Person Arrested: Lorenzo Stovell Murder | Bernews.com | September 24, 2012
- Suspect In Murder Case Released On Bail | Bernews.com | September 30, 2012