[Updated - The police have named the victim as 31-year-old Haile Matthews]
The island has recorded the second road fatality of 2013, following the death of a 31-year-old Devonshire man after a collision at around 12.45am this morning [Jan 18].
Police Inspector Kuhn Evans said, “The rider has succumbed to his injuries and the Bermuda Police Service extends their condolences to his family.
“There were two occupants of the car and to my knowledge, they were not injured. Any witnesses to the accident are asked to contact police on 295-0011 or the Crime Stoppers number 800-8477.”
Video of police statement by Inspector Kuhn Evans:
Update 6.28am: Police Media Manager Dwayne Caines said the collision took place at 12:46 this morning at the junction of Happy Valley Road and Montpelier Road, in Devonshire.
“It appears that a car and a motorcycle collided, resulting in the motorcycle rider being trapped under the car.”
“The 30 year old Devonshire man was eventually freed and taken to KEMH where he later was pronounced dead,” said Mr Caines. “No further information will be given until the next of kin has been notified.”
The first road fatality of the year occurred on January 6th, when 51-year-old Andrew Peniston died following a motorcycle collision on North Shore Road near the junction with Barkers Hill.
Update 11.51am: The police have identified the road traffic victim as 31 year old Haile Matthews of Devonshire. The full police statement follows below.
The Bermuda Police Service can now confirm the death of 31 year old Haile Matthews of Devonshire.
Mr. Matthews was seriously injured when the motorcycle he was riding collided with a car around 12:45am Friday, January 18th on Montpelier Road in Devonshire between the junctions of Happy Valley Road and Hesitation Lane.
Mr. Matthews was taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital via ambulance where he was pronounced dead by an on call doctor at 1:05am.
The investigation into this fatal collision is ongoing and any witnesses or anyone with any information should contact PC Shantia Furbert at the Roads Policing Unit on 295-0011. The Bermuda Police Service extends condolences to the family & friends of Mr. Matthews.
Read More About
Articles that link to this one:
- Video: Car Removed After Crashing Into Pole | Bernews.com | January 18, 2013
- 25-Year-Old Man Killed In St George’s Collision | Bernews.com | January 19, 2013
- Cabinet To Discuss Road Safety Measures | Bernews.com | January 19, 2013
- Police Name Road Victim: 25-Yr-Old Torrie Baker | Bernews.com | January 20, 2013
- Police Confirm Death Of 31-Yr-Old Jason Darrell | Bernews.com | February 1, 2013
- 29-Year-Old Man Killed In Motorcycle Collision | Bernews.com | February 2, 2013
- Police ID Road Victim: 29-Yr-Old Jevanie Fubler | Bernews.com | February 3, 2013
- ‘Working With Urgency’ To Address Road Deaths | Bernews.com | February 3, 2013