[Updated] The island has recorded the first road fatality of 2013, following the death of a 51-year-old man in a motorcycle collision just after midnight.
At approximately 12.10am today [Jan 6], emergency services responded to the single vehicle accident on North Shore Road near the junction with Barkers Hill.
Police Inspector Tracy Burgess said, “Police responded to a report of a single vehicle collision that had taken place at the junction of Barkers Hill and North Shore Road at approximately ten past midnight on the 6th of January, where a 51-year-old male had been taken to King Edward Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead on arrival.
“Police are now appealing to any witnesses to this collision to contact PC Fox of the Roads Policing Unit at 295-0011. There were no other vehicles involved in this collision, and this is the first road fatality for the year 2013.”
Update 4.27pm: The police have named the victim as Andrew Peniston of Smith’s parish. The full police statement follows below.
The Bermuda Police Service can now confirm the death of 51 year old Andrew Penniston of Smith’s parish.
Mr. Penniston was seriously injured in a single vehicle collision that occurred around 12:10am on Sunday, January 6th in the North Shore Road, Barkers Hill Devonshire area when the motorcycle he was riding apparently collided with a traffic island.
Mr. Penniston was initially treated at the scene before being taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital via ambulance where he was pronounced dead by an on call doctor at 12:30am.
A Family Liaison Officer has been assigned to Mr. Penniston’s family to assist them at this tragic time. The investigation into this fatal collision is ongoing and any witnesses or anyone with any information should contact PC Roger Fox at the Roads Policing Unit on 295-0011.
The Bermuda Police Service extends condolences to the family & friends of Mr. Penniston.
Update Jan 7, 11.48am: The police have amended the spelling to Peniston.
Read More About
Articles that link to this one:
- Man Dies Following Montpelier Road Collision | Bernews.com | January 18, 2013
- 25-Year-Old Man Killed In St George’s Collision | Bernews.com | January 19, 2013
- Police Name Road Victim: 25-Yr-Old Torrie Baker | Bernews.com | January 20, 2013
- Police Confirm Death Of 31-Yr-Old Jason Darrell | Bernews.com | February 1, 2013
- AME Church Appeals For ‘High Regard For Life’ | Bernews.com | February 1, 2013
- 29-Year-Old Man Killed In Motorcycle Collision | Bernews.com | February 2, 2013
- Police ID Road Victim: 29-Yr-Old Jevanie Fubler | Bernews.com | February 3, 2013
- ‘Working With Urgency’ To Address Road Deaths | Bernews.com | February 3, 2013