During the Earth Hour celebration on Saturday evening [Mar 23] at City Hall in Hamilton, BELCO Chief Operating Officer Denton Williams announced the Creativity Competition winners.
Each winner receives a $100 cash award, as does his or her school. This year, the Honourable Mention winners also received $50 cash awards, because the judges found their entries to be of such high quality. The judges, who took an entire afternoon to judge hundreds of entries, represented BELCO, the Department of Energy, Chewstick, Bermuda National Library and Greenrock.
In the 9 to 11 age category, the Winners are:
- Essays – Derek Tucker-Peters, Somersfield Academy
- Poetry – Gianna Lupparelli, Warwick Academy
- Artwork – Tyler Jessey, Purvis Primary
- Diorama – Kaela Riley, Purvis Primary
In the 12 to 14 category, the winners are:
- Essays – Taj Donville-Outerbridge, Clearwater Middle School
- Poetry – Nkosi Hollis, The Berkeley Institute
- Artwork – Mackenzie Paul, Somersfield Academy
In the 15 to 18 category, the winners are:
- Essays – Son-J Hall, The Berkeley Institute
- Poetry – Maychel Pearman, The Berkeley Institute
- Artwork – Karen Marino, Mount Saint Agnes Academy
And, the Honourable Mention winners are:
- From Somerset Primary – SéRi Joell and Shakira Simons
- From The Berkeley Institute – Shannon Smith and Ashley Usher
- Ahmir Wilson, Purvis Primary School
- Chefanices Williams, Dellwood Middle School
- Rajae Leverock, Whitney Institute Middle School
- Taj Donville-Outerbridge, Clearwater Middle School
- Emily Sinclair, Mount Saint Agnes Academy
- Charlotte Griffiths, Bermuda High School
- Jessica Tannock and Alexa Holdipp, who worked jointly on an entry, Bermuda Institute
- And, from Somersfield Academy …
- Luke Madeiros
- Nadia Attride-Ramella
- Jackie Costello
- Jasiri Minors
- and Max Johnson
“Congratulations to all of the students, and to the teachers and families who encouraged these young people to produce such thoughtful, creative work,” a BELCO spokesperson said.
The winning entries are displayed in the lobby at BELCO headquarters, 27 Serpentine Road.