Reminder: Visa Waiver, ESTA & Travel To USA

March 28, 2016

[Updated] The U.S. Consulate General in Hamilton said they wish to “remind those who are able to travel to the United States via the Visa Waiver Program that as of April 1, 2016, they must have a valid electronic passport.  This rule applies even to those who possess a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization [ESTA].

“The U.S. Consulate General strongly recommends that all travelers check to ensure their passports are valid electronic passports before they make arrangements to travel to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program.

“Electronic passports have this symbol on their cover:

Electronic passports symbol Bermuda March 28 2016 TC

“You can check if your passport is valid for travel under the VWP by carefully reading the following page here

“Any traveler who does not have a valid electronic passport is still eligible to travel to the United States with a valid nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate.

“Such travelers will be required to appear for an interview and obtain a visa in their passports at a U.S. embassy or consulate before traveling to the United States.  Information on visa applications can be found here.

Update March 29, 2.46pm: The U.S. Consulate in Hamilton said, “The requirement to have a valid electronic passport pertains only to citizens of the 38 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program [VWP].

“Bermuda does not participate in the Visa Waiver Program. Therefore a requirement for an electronic passport does not apply to Bermuda passport holders at this time. ”

Fullscreen capture 29032016 24853 PM

Read More About

Category: All, News

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Family Man says:

    Do Bermuda passport holders need to apply for an ESTA authorization?

    • rock watcher says:

      just Brisitiah passport holders not required for bda passports

  2. bakatawn says:

    so now my address at a cheap motels is not allowed

  3. Wait says:

    So does this mean I can still use my ESTA? It doesn’t expire until next year. I have a EU passport.

    • Wait says:

      The EU passports have never been able to pass through the check in machines, I always have to go up to the counter.

    • InDisbelief says:

      you need your ESTA as well as an electronic passport otherwise you have to go to american consulate and get a visa put in your passport

  4. confident says:

    i suggest if you’re travel to US to use Bermuda Passport with Bermuda Government on the Cover of your passport….i used my BOTC (British Overseas Territory Citizen Passport) last month to get through US….man they acted like they can’t read English…i even have ( Holder is registered as Bermudian ) stamped from the immigration here in Bermuda…they still argued with me about the passport just because it looks like a British passport ….

  5. Oh dear says:

    A clear announcement is required from the US Consul- to remove any doubt or misunderstanding – in regard to Bermuda Passport holders (without the emblem) and for those holding Euro/British Passports which include the symbol on the front cover of their passport.