Somerset broke a ten year streak and won the Cup Match Classic this weekend, claiming the title on their home field and thrilling the Somerset fans.
At the Cup Presentation held after the game ended Premier Cox, an admitted Somerset supporter, said: “Victory is always sweet, but we owe a debt to St George’s and Somerset as they came out here in the scorching heat and they gave us a Cup Match may worth watching, so I want to say thank you.”
St George’s Cricket Club President Neil Paynter thanked Somerset for being a “wonderful host,” while St George’s Captain Lionel Cann congratulated Somerset, and said he was proud of his team as they showed the spirit of the game.
Somerset Cricket Club President Alfred Maybury told the Somerset players that last year he had to encourage them, but this year he congratulates them. He also thanked St George’s for coming and playing a good and fair game.
Somerset skipper Jekon Edness — who had earlier been carried off the field after suffering severe cramp — accepted the Cup for Somerset from the Governor, who said Cup Match was “really really fantastic.” You can view all our Cup Match coverage here and all our Cup Match photo galleries here.
Click to enlarge photos:
- Photos: 2010 Cup Match Cricket
- Photos: Premier, Ministers Congratulate Somerset
- Photos: Colt Cup Match Ends In A Draw
- Photos/Videos: Somerset Fans Celebrate Victory
- Photos: St George’s Celebrate Cup Match Victory
- Photos/Video: St George’s Win Mini Cup Match
Articles that link to this one:
- Cup Match Photo Galleries Recap/Links | Bernews.com | August 7, 2012