The PLP has confirmed that Paula Cox has tendered her resignation as Party Leader effective immediately, and Derrick Burgess will serve as Acting Party Leader.
Ms Cox lost her Devonshire North West seat to the OBA’s Glen Smith, becoming the first sitting Premier to be defeated since the Westminster-style political system was introduced on the island more than 40 years ago.
She received 377 votes, while Mr Smith received 470. Her defeat was followed by a defeat for the entire party, who lost power after the OBA claimed a 19-17 majority.
A statement from the party said: “The Progressive Labour Party can confirm that the Hon. Paula A. Cox, has tendered her resignation as Party Leader effective immediately.
“In the interim, the Hon. Derrick Burgess will serve as Acting Party Leader. We thank Ms. Cox for her unwavering commitment, service and dedication to our country and Party.”
- Scans: Minister Paula Cox’s Campaign Brochures
- Paula Cox Leadership Challenge:12 Objectives
- Minister Blakeney Endorses Paula Cox For Premier
- Paula Cox Announces Leadership Challenge
- Paula Cox Campaign: No Facebook or Twitter
- PLP To Announce Candidate Tomorrow