Over 10,000 of the world’s best athletes took part in last night’s [July 27] Opening Ceremonies for the 2012 London Olympics, with some of Bermuda’s best among them.
The ceremony kicked off at 5pm Bermuda time and saw a dramatic show take place before the parade of nations. As traditional, Greece was the first team to enter the stadium, followed by over 200 teams from across the globe.
Bermuda’s Olympic team entered the stadium with sailor Zander Kirkland enthusiastically waving the flag. The other team members are sailor Jesse Kirkland, long jumpers Tyrone Smith and Arantxa King, triathletes Tyler Butterfield and Flora Duffy, equestrian Jillian Terceria, and swimmer Roy Allan Burch. In addition, Bermuda’s Jenaya Wade-Fray is taking part in these Games as part of Great Britain’s basketball team.
Below are tweets collected from many of the athletes, showcasing the view and photos of the event from their unique perspective.
- Tyrone Smith’s Olympic Dance Lights Up Twitter
- American Actress “Obsessed” with Tucker Murphy
- Bermuda Shorts: Tucker Takes Over Twitter
- Social Media Scroll: #BermudaDay Festivities
- Kyle Masters On Social Media/Defamation Laws
- Police Urge Caution: Texts, Social Media