[Written by Erwin P. Adderley & David J. Tavares]
Under the party system, while there can be open and spirited debate in Caucus prior to a vote or party decision taken on an issue, positions are taken with strong influence by a small group of individuals (“the Kitchen Cabinet” and special interest) who are not elected by the electorate.
Under the guise of collective responsibility, during the parliamentary debate all members must support the position adopted by the parties. Therefore, before, during and after the debates you only hear the party lines on the issues. All other options that may have been considered are not presented or debated.
With independent representatives in parliament, other options will be presented, debated and at least considered. The public can then best determine if they have got the best solution.
Mr Tavares on the left, Mr Adderley on the right:
The true values of an independent representative are freedom and personal responsibility. His or her campaign is giving back power to the people. The people of Bermuda would have a vote that would transcend a political party’s ideology. Your vote would be more valuable to Bermuda because it would maximize the benefits on all key issues without extreme positions of partisan politics.
An independent candidate provides the option of another alternative. Your Independent candidate is committed to addressing the following key areas of interest and concerns by encouraging joint select committees on:
- Constitutional Reforms designed to improve parliamentary representation. Give power back to the people.
- Social and economic bills of rights, regarding access to (a) relevant education, (b) affordable health care and housing, and (c) establishing a minimum wage.
- The economy designed to ensure competitiveness, developing tourism up to a minimum of 20% of GDP, and reducing the dependency on Government funded programs.
- Public Safety designed to develop policies that are comprehensive, relevant to today’s environment and adequately funded.
- Mr Adderley and Mr Tavares both plan to run as Independent candidates in the upcoming election. Mr Tavares plans to run in C#8 Smith’s South against the OBA’s Cole Simons and the PLP’s Wayne Perinchief, while Mr Adderley plans to run in C#19 Pembroke West against the PLP’s Vince Ingham and the OBA’s Jeanne Atherden.
- Minister & OBA On Moratorium Policy
- Video: Health Minister On Hiring Consultants
- Job Market Declines For Fourth Consecutive Year
- Ministry Announces Work Permit Policy Reforms
- All Government MPs Subject To Drug Testing
- Videos: Political Candidates Discuss Marijuana
Articles that link to this one:
- “We Do Not Support The PLP Or The OBA” | Bernews.com | November 21, 2012