Video: Eve Saves Penalty For Spennymoor Town

October 7, 2021

Bermudian goalkeeper Dale Eve made a “stunning” save for Spennymoor Town FC as they played to a 2-3 loss against Southport.

The club’s match report said, “A contentious Stephen Thompson red card turned the game in Southport’s favour as Moors exited the Emirates FA Cup on a frustrating night on Merseyside.

“Thompson was shown a straight red card just before the interval with Moors leading 2-1, with goals from Glen Taylor and Brad Abbott cancelling out Doug Tharme’s early finish.


“Moors began the brighter of the two sides in challenging conditions at The Pure Stadium, with the newly introduced Anderson teeing up Glen Taylor for an early shot which zipped over Cameron Mason’s crossbar.

“Southport, who showcased their threat from set pieces at the weekend, had a chance to take the lead just before the quarter of an hour mark when the referee spotted a foul in the area from a throw in.

“Marcus Carver stepped up confidently and struck a fierce spot kick towards Eve’s bottom right hand corner, but Moors’ keeper made a stunning save to keep the scores level.

“However, the euphoria of that penalty save was quickly forgotten from the resulting corner when Doug Tharme steered a pinpoint shot into the top corner to give Port the lead.

“Moors’ problems deepened ten minutes later when the ever-present James Curtis went down clutching his knee after trying to make a challenge, and, despite attempting to play on, he was replaced by Jason Kennedy.

“A wicked and inviting McLean cross into the area found the head of Taylor who looped a delicate header over the helpless Mason to drag Moors back into the tie.

“That goal provided Moors a springboard, and they turned the game around just two minutes later when the prolific Abbott kept his eye on a dropping ball and hammered a shot past Mason.

“In the ascendancy and with momentum on their side, Moors searched for a third goal which would take tie away from The Sandgrounders, however, a contentious decision from the referee turned the tide of the contest.

“After Thompson drove forward from right back and attempted a block, the referee felt his foot was too high and in a dangerous position, and, after a small period of hesitation, went to his back pocket and Moors were reduced to ten men.

“An incensed Miller went down the tunnel at the break with a tough task on his hands, and within the first five minutes of the second period, the tone of the remaining 45 minutes was set.”

click here banner football

Read More About

Category: All, News, Sports, Videos

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. lazy joe says:

    finally Bermuda Football is back!