David Petty — who is running as an Independent in C#20 Pembroke South West in the upcoming election — has released his platform.
The 43-year-old previously served as a UBP candidate in 1998, and said his political views fall within the realms of Liberal Socio-Capitalism and his platform has been created in that context.
- We have to institute good governance in Parliament and the Civil Service to create a transparent view, delivery and adherence to policy and to control cronyism, favouritism, fraud and unsubstantiated spending by everyone in our public sector.
- We must establish equal human rights in Bermuda for everyone, no matter their religious beliefs, perceived class, colour, nationality or sexual orientation.
- We must pass a freedom of information act with teeth that will be meaningful and effective.
- A Parliamentary Elections Act should be passed that allows for and supports absentee ballots for Bermudians overseas, extends the advanced poll, makes elections fixed term, allows the public to elect the Premier put forward to the Governor
- We should repeal any discriminatory legislation that prevents some Bermudians from having the right to own as much property as another Bermudian simply because they have chosen to widen our gene pool by marrying a spouse from overseas.
- The passing of property from one generation to the next should not be taxed – at all.
- For some lesser crimes they should be conscripted into the Regiment instead of having a random draft as we do today and put to work so that societal boundaries and expectations that were not instilled into them as youth can be done so as adults. Anyone committing a minor crime that identifies them with a “gang” clearly wants to “belong” to an elite group and as such should immediately be inducted into the Regiment
- Any assets confiscated under proceeds of crime legislation should be given to the victims of those crimes
- Medical care for the vulnerable should be readily available and free.
The incumbent C#20 MP Louise Jackson [OBA] is retiring, and the OBA has not yet announced her replacement. Marcus Jones will stand for the PLP, while Independent Johnathan Starling will also contest the area. Considered by many to be a safe seat for the Opposition, Mrs Jackson earned over 80% of the vote in the 2007 and 2003 elections.
Mr Petty’s full platform is below [PDF here]:
Articles that link to this one:
- OBA Confirm Susan Jackson For C#20 | Bernews.com | November 28, 2012
- Petty: Constituency Committee Can Recall Me | Bernews.com | December 14, 2012