Restoration Project: Cannons From The 1800s

April 26, 2015

As the Mayor of St. George included in his Peppercorn Ceremony speech, the two historic cannons at King’s Square — one of about 1810 and the other of the 1870s — have been thoroughly conserved and given new carriages to sit upon for many years to come.

Together the St. George’s Foundation and the National Museum of Bermuda fundraised for and ordered the new carriages, which replaced the existing pair of corroded, unsafe and unsightly carriages.

Photo: King’s Square cannon and carriage restoration project donors Gail Miller for OIL Group of Companies, Justin Williams, Andrew Crumley, Felicite Davidson [other donors not pictured Ian Davidson, Tim Davidson, Jeff Manson, and Dr. Edward Harris], with St. George’s Foundation Executive Director Dr. Charlotte Andrews, Development Director Kristin White, Chairman Rick Spurling, and Trustees Alison Outerbridge, Debbie Jones, Grace Rawlins, and Dr. Kenneth Snaith. Photo by Ann Spurling.

cannon bermuda 2015

The National Museum treated and repainted the cannon and arranged the transport of the cannon and carriages: the new carriages were custom-made by the company, John Slough of London.

This collaborative heritage project was made possible through the generosity of a corporate donor, the OIL Group of Companies, and the individual donors, Ian and Felicite Davidson, Jeff Manson, Justin Williams, Tim Davidson, and Dr. Edward Harris.

Read More About

Category: All, History, News

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. what man says:

    restore the big ones that are sitting in the moat at the fort on paget island. those things would be one hell of a site to see!!!