[Updated] The Ministry of Home Affairs moved to clarify recent reports that it had not consulted with the unions regarding its recent decision to eliminate Term Limits.
Last week Home Affairs Minister Michael Fahy confirmed that Government will eliminate the Term Limit Policy, which previously restricted work permit holders for working on the island for longer than 6 years without a waiver or exemption.
A statement from the Ministry said, “The public should know that the Ministry did seek feedback from the unions via the Bermuda Trade Union Congress [BTUC], whose representatives were appointed to the Work Permit Stakeholder Group.
“And with respect to recent claims by the unions as it relates to consultation, the public should know that Mr. Chris Furbert of the BIU and Mr. Anthony Wolffe, a BPSU representative, both represent the BTUC on the Work Permit Stakeholder Group.
“The public will also be aware that Mr. Wendall “Shine” Hayward [who according to Ministry records] is the President of the BTUC.
“The Ministry today released a copy of the email correspondence sent to the stakeholders [below]. Members of the public and the media will note that both BTUC representatives as well as the President received a copy of the document.
“And the Ministry can confirm, that the BTUC is the only group that did not respond,” the statement concluded.
Update 9.59am: Bernews questioned via email last night whether it was permissible to post the actual email they provided to the media on the website – was told yes “go ahead” via email — however this morning a request has been made to remove it, which has been done.
- BIU President: ‘Minister Is Misleading The Public’
- Government Eliminates Term Limit Policy
- Chamber, BEC Welcomes End Of Term Limits
- Cayman: ‘Don’t Want Competition Ahead Of Us’
- PLP Calls On OBA To Apologise For Statement
- Minister & OBA On Moratorium Policy
Articles that link to this one:
- BIU President: ‘Minister Is Misleading The Public’ | Bernews.com | February 5, 2013